This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

My first build, trouble installing XP blue screen of death

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi everyone, I've just completed building my first custom computer and I'm getting a blue screen of death when trying to install windows XP. I'm using an FX-8120 amd processor, an MSI 970A-G45 motherboard, 2X2GB crucial DDR3 ram, a thermaltake 500 Watt ATX power supply, an Nvidia GTX 450 and the harddrive from my old computer, a Seagate Barracuda 7200 Rpm 500 GB hdd. Everything is brand new except for the hdd. When I try to install windows XP I formatted the hard drive because I figured it would be best to start from a clean slate. I booted from the XP CD and began the installation, then the computer needs to restart and continues the installation. At this point I get a blue screen of death with the error message IRQL_NOT _LESS_OR_EQUAL. I'm not really sure what this means, but I tried installing XP on a different hard drive with the same issue and I've tried using a friend's XP disk as well (he has since upgraded to Windows 7). After a couple days of playing with it, I got frustrated and installed Ubuntu instead. Ubuntu installed and runs fine. If not for the fact that I can't play any of my games I would just use Ubuntu, but I bought XP, it's not pirated or anything, and I just can't figure out why it's not working. The other thing I should mention is despite it being my first build, I got pretty ambitious and built a case for it entirely out of lego. I can't imagine this contributing to my issues, but just in case, I thought i should mention it. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance for the help.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI