This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

I need to delete some files

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have a small hard drive…8 gigs…and it seems that everytime I use Windows Update more and more of my hard drive is being used up.

Does anyone know of a utility that will show me all of the files on my hard drive and that will let me delete them if I want to?

I had this problem a couple of years ago and someone pointed me to an excellent program (not like the questionable ones you find on c-net or geeks). Unfortunately, I didn't buy it…I used it for the trial period and let it go. It had found a massive amount of useless windows update data that should have been deleted by windows update…instead, it found its' way into my C:\Windows\Installer folder.

Many thanx
don't delete the unwanted programs you must uninstall them using the appropriate uninstaller . if you can't find the uninstaller you may want to try a third party utility such as Ccleaner http://www.ccleaner.com/ . thats an incredibly small Hard Drive for Windows Xp . are you still using SP1 with no hot fixes or updates . good luck and have a great day .

Unless you know how to use this or any other cleaning program, I'd suggest you be careful of what you use without supervision.


http://forums.whatthetech.com/WARNING_t86364.html

Follow this sage advice :). Myself for such a small hard-drive I personally think use the inbuilt Windows, nothing fantastic but safe ;) :

Click Start >> Run and type cleanmgr in the box and press OK.
  • Ensure the boxes for Temporary Files, Temporary Internet Files and Recycle Bin are checked.
  • You can choose to check other boxes if you wish but they are not required.
  • Click on OK then Yes.
Windows update always require some space on the hard drive and I recommend you not delete the installers of any update because there can be many security conflicts that can arise.
Its better if you perform cleaning from many other areas of your PC or hard drive to gain enough space. For this you can try PC Optimizer Pro . It has a tracks for you and has many other features which can increase your PC performance and efficiency.
Hi,

Again always be carefull when deleting files and folders.

Possibly to gain more space on a very small HDD try looking at your uninstall list and see if there are programs there you can do without.

have a read of this little program that is very user friendly..


Your Uninstaller


Here is some information on this program before you decide to use it. –> Main site

Trial version –> Your Uninstaller

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI