This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Belkin Wireless N Router

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I just brought a Belkin N Mino Wireless Router model number is F5D8233-4. I have two questions My first one is, isn't there a way to be able to remotely manage the router from anywhere?? The second one is I'm running a software firewall, since the router has a hardware firewall, should I be running both? Many Thanks Jeremy

isn't there a way to be able to remotely manage the router from anywhere??

Did you check your manual? On page 71 it talks about enabling remote managment "to make changes to your Router’s settings from anywhere on the Internet." Understand that this feature while convenient for you, is also convenient for bad guys who might attempt to hack your network. Ensure you follow the instructions carefully to secure the router first.

I'm running a software firewall, since the router has a hardware firewall, should I be running both?

That depends. If:

  • you only have one computer on your network (anything on your side of the router - the "Trusted" side),
  • AND you are the only user,
  • AND/OR you and ALL users that will ever use that computer are disciplined at ALWAYS Practicing Safe Computing. That is, you keep your system (OS and defenses) patched, updated, scanned and blocked, you always scan attachments and downloads before opening, and you never visit sites bad guys are known to wallow in, such as porn, gambling, and peer to peer (P2P) sites that tolerate illegal file sharing,
… if the above is true, then you do not need a firewall on your computer - assuming you have your router and wireless access properly secured and configured. That said, I recommend the use of at least Windows Firewall, even for well disciplined users, and encourage the use of a good 3rd party software based firewall, such as one of these:
  • Online Armor Free (supports NT/Win2K/XP - no Vista),
  • Comodo Firewall Pro (supports XP/Vista, and is free),
  • Sunbelt Personal Firewall (formally Kerio Personal Firewall - free version remains after 30-day trial period (supports NT/Win2K/XP - no Vista),
    or
  • ZoneAlarm Firewall - (supports XP/Vista, and is free).
The thing to remember about a router is that it only protects you from threats coming from outside your network. I say "only" but that is still HUGE! However, the router assumes anything coming from your side, the "trusted" side, is good. In other words, if some malicious code does get past your other defenses (usually due to a "practice safe computing, e.g. "human" error), with no two-way (incoming and outgoing) software based firewall installed on your computer, the malicious code will be free to "phone home" with your personal information unhindered. If an infected second computer is attached to your side of the network, it will be free to attack the other unprotected (because they are in the "trusted" zone) computers on your side of your network.

So the short answer, yes! You still need a software based firewall installed and running on every computer on your side of the router.
Hey thanks for all the great info. I was guessing that on the remote management thing, I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't enable by default, but I figured it out. Well I use ZoneAlarm Security Suite, and what you saying is that I should use windows firewall, my router firewall, and ZoneAlarm?? Do you have any good tips on how to properly secured and configured my router? Jeremy

Well I use ZoneAlarm Security Suite, and what you saying is that I should use windows firewall, my router firewall, and ZoneAlarm??

ZoneAlarm Security Suite includes the ZoneAlarm firewall and since you should not run two software based firewalls at once, Windows Firewall should be disabled.

Do you have any good tips on how to properly secured and configured my router?

Check out this thread: How do I secure my router?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI