Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91733 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

SmitFraud

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 Hoib

Hoib

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 01:22 PM

I have my friend's desktop over here for fixing some non-spyware issues. He was using McAfee and got infected and then put on NOD32's full Internet Sec Suite not realizing that Smitfraud stayed behind. I've noticed that SpyBot S&D reports Smitfraud onboard and that NOD and SpyBot took care of about 99% of everything else except... I notice that in IE, when we open or click on a link, he'll get two pop-ups each. Pop-ups also occur intermittently when the system is on IE and idling. OK, so I'm going to start getting rid of Smitfraud.

1. Now, in the forums, I notice that in the Smitfraud instructions in the sticky dated 4/16/2006 we're to load up a copy of AVG Anti-Spy. But a little further down it says:

Once you have downloaded ewido anti-spyware, locate the icon on the desktop and double-click it to launch the set up program.

This must be a typo. Note the changelog from ewido to AVG further down in the stream. Just want to be sure - Anyway...
Am I right to think that the sticky just needs to be updated?

2. Must we absolutely use AVG to run the scan and clean? Reason is I'll have to dismount NOD32 off this thing and that's a bear to put back on once you've taken it off. At least in my experience it has been. Are there special things that AVG has that NOD32 Sec Suite doesn't have that make installing it mandatory? If I can use NOD32, it'll save huge chunks of my time and effort.

What say - any chance I can substitute AVG with the NOD32 suite or maybe an online scanner? I'm ready to post a log and follow instructions... Thanks!

Edited by Hoib, 02 June 2008 - 10:52 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Hoib

Hoib

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 06:44 AM

No response to a simple question. Nevermind - the good news is: I fixed this myself. Decided to try to run SpyBot 1.5 in Safe Mode. SmitFraud no longer listed in SpyBot. PopUps are now history after a full day's burn in.

Edited by Hoib, 04 June 2008 - 06:44 AM.