This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Wireless Connection is Firewalled...

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My dad, the Computer Tech, decided to—on a whim—mess with my wireless connection. Well, now I can connect to the internet when I hook it up to a router, but I can't use wireless. There's a big red "x" on the internet icon and it says it's both disconnected and firewalled. To add salt to the wound he says that he won't fix it. He gets a kick out of causing me pain. I'm not quite sure what he did, and I have no idea about how to about fixing it. Help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Alex
Greetings beautifulsamurai, Sorry to hear about your wireless problems. You know the fastest way to fix this is to have your Dad reverse whatever he did, otherwise we have to try to figure out what was done. Could take seconds, hours or days depending on how far we have to dig to discover it. First to try the easy suspects, is to right click on the icon with the red X on it and see if there is an option to "enable this connection" Another one is to locate on your laptop a switch or button, sometime located on the front or side that will physically turn on or off the wireless function of the computer. Usually a slide switch. This could also be one of the Function keys located on top with a symbol of a antenna on it. Requiring you to press and hold the FN key and the correct Function key once. (f1-f12). Give this ago and let us know how you are doing. Regards Kaz
Thanks. I appreciate it. I tried those things, but to no avail. A friend of mine suspects he disconnected my wireless router in the bios, but she has no idea how to fix it and I don't know what a bios is. lol.
Hello beautifulsamurai,

Really sorry you are no further ahead with your internet connection.

Can you take your computer to an IT shop or as it is a Wireless problem have the IT to come to you, as it sounds to me it is a hands on problem.

That would be my only suggestions, I know it costs money, but you can get a quote first by explaining what happened and I am sure for an experienced IT they could correct the problem relatively quickly.

[external image: Posted Image] and I do hope you can get some help soon.

kind regards,

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI