This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Connected non connection

17 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have always bragged about What The Tech abilities at solving problems to others. And they guys here have done their share at helping me through some problems. :thumbup: Here's the issue: at my 'office' we have 5 laptop computers that connect to our Linksys WRT54G router. There are also 4 hardwired computers that are connected to a switch that's connected to the router. The wired computers are important to the wireless laptops in that there are shared files and printers connected to the wired computers that the laptops must access. All was happy for several months until one of the laptops, a Fujitsu, running XP Pro SP3 suddenly can't find the network. It connects to the Internet fine, but it can't find any of the wired computers or printers. I have uninstalled the wireless netcard and reinstalled it, reset a lot of registry items, scanned the internet for something that would cause this problem, and maybe fix this problem. I've been at it for more than a week. :pullhair: One last thing…I also was once able to connect to my home 'network' of two wired computers and a Linksys WRT54G router with that laptop to use the printers attached to the wired computers. The laptop now fails to connect with this network, so it's not a problem at the office. (Besides the other 4 laptops still connect and share fine with everything.) Any suggestions are welcome…think outside the box, because I've tried almost everything in it.
Hello ehauch,

I notice you have posted several HJT logs over time, some answered, some are no completed, and one was not responded to by you at all after the initial post and Shelf Life's reply to it. I apologize for the unanswered logs, but as most always the Malware fighters are inundated with requests for help in the Malware forum so are very busy.

Are the problems you have now with the same computer as the logs were posted from, or different computers?

I would like to draw your attention to the WTT Terms of Use and a quote from it.

We offer free computer help and tech support for home and personal use. We are not here to support others that work for profit, or to support/replace your company's IT department

Please post back with information regarding whether your problem is with a personal computer or as stated in your post, several computers/office equipment.

kind regards,
Two things. One, the unanswered post is a mystery to me, because I always link my email to the posts. I was never notified of a reply, so I apologize for not following up more fully. :blush: Two, the computer I am writing about is not the same computer, in fact I don't think I have ever repeated a computer's log. I have learned from WhatTheTech, and never use my skills for anything but friends and relatives computers, and never charge. This particular laptop is my own computer that I loaned out, and when it came back this problem was there. Although the person that used it swears nothing was done, downloaded, or changed….something happened. I'm just at my wits end to try to figure out what happened, and trying to reverse it. Without the network, I can't print anything off the computer unless I physically hook it up to a printer. :(
Hi ehauch,

One, the unanswered post is a mystery to me, because I always link my email to the posts. I was never notified of a reply, so I apologize for not following up more fully

To help you find your previous posts in this forum:
  • Click on your username on any post you have made in the top left of the thread
  • Scroll to Find Members Topics
  • There you will see all the posts and who has helped you since being a member here at WTT
Did the systems restore work for you that Paws suggested?

Keep us posted.

kind regards,

Have you tried to use a System Restore Point created just before the problem started?
Regards
paws



Yes, but it seems whatever happened, there were no system restore points available any earlier than some event that happened on September 28th. I have a sneaky suspicion the person I loaned the computer to pressed the "OK" to do a Microsoft update to SP3. All out other computers have been 'trying' to update, but we have been stalling them off. I think…with good reason.
SP3 definitely has a negative impact on wireless connectivity for some systems, see here:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=s…ireless+problem

You could try uninstalling SP3 and see if that resolves it. You can do this from ADD/Remove Programs. Here is some more info:

How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of Windows XP Service Pack 3

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718/en-us

Free unlimited installation and compatibility support (Via Email, Chat or Phone support)

http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.a…mp;gprid=522131

Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) Forum: (Post your issues here)

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowFo…0&SiteID=17

How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249/en-us

Before you start the uninstall process, if you have any important files on your PC back them up to a CD or DVD.

Above posted by JS at the end of this thread: http://help.wugnet.com/windows/Uninstall-S…pict625376.html

SP3 definitely has a negative impact on wireless connectivity for some systems, see here:

(Some edit trimming here)

You could try uninstalling SP3 and see if that resolves it. You can do this from ADD/Remove Programs. Here is some more info:


How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249/en-us

Before you start the uninstall process, if you have any important files on your PC back them up to a CD or DVD.

Above posted by JS at the end of this thread: http://help.wugnet.com/windows/Uninstall-S…pict625376.html


Thanks Rick. B) I will make that my Saturday project. One can only hope. :huh:

All was happy for several months until one of the laptops, a Fujitsu, running XP Pro SP3 suddenly can't find the network. It connects to the Internet fine, but it can't find any of the wired computers or printers.


Sorry you are having this trouble.

Since you CAN reach the Internet, then you MUST have, by definition, a connection to the Network. A "no network connection" would be a big Red X on the network adapter, and no connection to any network resources.

The location of Network computers and resources is typically done through NetBIOS and port 139.

There is a chance that installing SP3 kinda messed-up the belief that "windows" had, in that it may no longer believe it to be part of a "workgroup" network. I have seen this with non-SP3 PCs as well. First thing I would do is run the Network setup wizard again, ensure that you enter the correct "workgroup" and don't forget to turn-on File and Printer sharing. You MUST reboot TWICE after that.

If that changes nothing, then see if you can ping the other PCs, if you can than maybe there is a firewall on that PC blocking port 139.

run
netstat -a -n
and see if it is LISTENING to TCP port 139

Also make sure that the
computer browser
Server
SSDP
TCP/IP NetBIOS helper
Workstation
services are running and set to 'automatic'

Tallon41

[edit: One way to tell if a PC believes that it's part of a 'network', is to: right-click on the -start- button, then choose -explore-
maximize the window, pull the scroll bar [if present] to the bottom. In the right-pane, locate "my network places" click on it.
If "entire network" does not appear, this could be the case. ]
If he WERE seeing computers and printers, then yeah, it'd be the same. likely it would be blank based on what he's said. Using that will not tell you if the PC is Listening on that port, only resources it has so far discovered….if any.
Hey Tallon41 - I tried your suggestions, even doing the Network setup wizard, with a double reboot. I got some interesting results. First of all the results of the netstat are: TCP Local Address 169.254.71.152:139 Listening 169.254.203. 176:139 Listening [removed]:139 Listening Do I have too many port 139 listening? I tried looking for my 'network', and it can now 'see' the network (by name), but can't make out the shared documents, or the printers attached. I verified that all the Settings you mentioned where automatic…(one was on manual and was changed). I did the Start/Explore/My Network Places thing, and the only thing the laptop can see if the Shared Docs present on itself. Man, I thought we had something going. I like your train of thought, because I really dread what might happen if I uninstall SP3.

Do I have too many port 139 listening?

well it shouldn't be listening with the 169.254.x.x that's a 'default' addressing schema set by M$ for networking computers without connection to a DHCP server. There is no gateway and therefore any connection made with any such configured network adapter is a "local" connection only. I would only expect to see both if there were multiple Network adapters in use, and one doesn't have a connection with a DHCP server, or two were being 'bridged'…no they'd get different IPs than that….we need to take a closer look at your adapters and their configuration.

do you try to use your LAN connection (plug-in an Ethernet cable,) on the laptop while the Wireless is connected ? [Usually windows will forgo the use of the wireless adapter in favor of the faster wired connection, should you attempt this. ]

If you go to Start–run–accessories—system tools—system information

click -Tools-, then choose the first option -Net Diagnostics-

you may need a windows CD. It will lauch Network Diagnostics inside a "Help and Support Center" window.

Choose -Scan your system- , save it to a file. [top right of the first section is the -save to file- button.]

we likely only need the last section titled "Modems and Network Adapters" if you want edit the file. It does not open properly in my FireFox 3.0 so if you want to look at it, you might need to use Internet Explorer, as it is an HTML file.

upload it here. file is usually less than 250kB

Tallon41

Do I have too many port 139 listening? well it shouldn't be listening with the 169.254.x.x that's a 'default' addressing schema set by M$ for networking computers without connection to a DHCP server. There is no gateway and therefore any connection made with any such configured network adapter is a "local" connection only. I would only expect to see both if there were multiple Network adapters in use, and one doesn't have a connection with a DHCP server, or two were being 'bridged'…no they'd get different IPs than that….we need to take a closer look at your adapters and their configuration.


Well…this computer does use the Internet for sending special data to our business base, and has a VPN connection using 'Jupiter Networks', which some investigation shows is some special protected network for passing data. :huh:

Anyway…I will do the next step and upload to this topic. (I don't have the computer with me at this writing.) Thanks.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI