I have a sony vaio pcg-6d1l that will not turn on. The power light is on and the battery light blinks like it should when its plugged in. All I get iis a black screen and I do not hear the boot little sound it likes to play. I can feel the harddrive spin up and i see that the fan is not spinning. I opened it up and made sure all the ribbons and plugs were tight and plugged in. I'm wondering if it is the RAM, any suggestions?
Hello,
I am concerned that the fan is not working, this can cause major issues later on. If the RAM is not seated correctly you will not have any video.
The video uses shared RAM from the system RAM.
The first thing to do is to remove the RAM, and blow out the socket with compressed air (do not use an air compressor as it is too powerful).
You can buy a can of compressed gas just for this at any computer shop, or even wallyworld.
Reseat the RAM and test.
If the video is not working you will not see a start up screen, or any thing .
However the computer could have been working fine, you just could not see it.
Thank you for your help. Tried spraying compressed gas in both ram slots, tried ram stick in both slots and same thing. To give you more information,this is my friends laptop that I am fixing, i think he was having the same problem when he gave it to me to fix. However the first time I turned it on when I got a hold of it it was able to start up and get to the windows xp loading screen and then it would freeze. I tried turning it off and on again and again and I would get the same thing I get now where it doesnt get video/audio but the power is still on and the harddrive is spinning. That was when I switched the ram to the other slot and it was working great as soon as I turned it on, started up just fine and was able to keep it on for an hour before it froze when I moved it. I turned it off and back on and it worked fine again, but still a little movement or shaking of the laptop would cause it to freeze, over and over again until it stopped working alltogether, this is why I checked all the ribbons and plugs to make sure nothing was slipping out. It got to the point where it is now where it does not get video/audio and doesnt start up but power and hdd is working. I think im going to buy a new ram stick off of ebay, however, I'm wondering if it is possible the processor is fried or it might be something else because the fan does not turn on when the laptop is turned on though I'm not sure if thats normal (maybe it doesnt turn on until it gets hot or it wont turn on without working ram) Any suggestions?
Ok now the power button does not turn on the power light or hdd etc either, no response from the laptop at all when trying to turn it on. I know the adapter charges the battery so its no the adapter. It can't be the battery either because i took it out and kept the adapter plugged in, no response still. I must have screwed something up after opening it so many times, even though i triple checked every ribbon/plug was in and tight especially the power buttons ribbon ><. Maybe it wasn't my fault though, maybe the motherboard was about to give out and it just did now. Eh, oh well.
Hi,
The fact that the laptop worked OK for an hour but then froze when you moved it, indicates that maybe there is a hardware problem.
Hopefully you followed all the usual personal safety and ESD (antistatic) precautions before you touched any internal components RAM etc? Almost all internal components are at risk from ESD but RAM is particularly suceptible. Did you remember to remove the battery before opening the machine and ensuring it was fully shut down?
It may be worth trying the following before you pull the machine apart again.
1 Try removing the battery and running on mains supply only (make sure the machine is fully shutdown before you do this)
2 Check the voltage of the battery output whilst it's disconnected and after its been out of the machine for one hour…is it within limits?
3 Now try to boot again with the battery installed and with or without mains supply …any improvement?
4 Try connecting an external monitor to the VGA output connector and see if you can get anything showing on the external VDU ( you may need to toggle a keyboard combination…usually
Fn+F5 or 6) have a look on the keys themselves or if really desperate look in the owners manual!
5 Try booting from the Windows installation disc and see if it works.
6 Remove the hard drive and put in a freshly formatted one and see how you go ( machine must be off (I.E. properly shut down), battery removed and mains disconnected before you do this)
7 Are you now able to boot into BIOS..if so good news , post back with details and we will advise further steps.
8 If no joy on these its a question of opening it up again and testing each component part until you strike gold!
Regards
paws
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI