This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows 8: How rename system-fodlers (so that they -stay- renamed)?

11 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Let's say I would like to have one place with only the following folders: Images Videos Text Audio Temp Other If I click on my username I get folders for My Photos, My Music etc… I would like to rename those folders so that they -stay- renamed. When I renamed the 'Downloads'-folder to 'Temp' it stayed renamed for about 30 minutes and then for some reason it switched its name back to 'Downloads'. I tried it again and the same thing happened. How do I remedy this?
I'm coming from Windows XP where there was one single 'My Documents'-folder where I stored all my stuff. Now I just got Windows 8 and I'm a bit confused… I would like to have all my sub-folders (which I like to name Images, Audio, Video and so on), in one single main-folder. But which folder should I use for that? In windows 8 there are various candidate folders like for example: -Libraries -Documents -"Username" Then within "Username" there is a folder called 'My Documents' but the folders called 'My music' and 'My pictures' etc are not within it. I think this all is a bit confusing. To clarify what I want to accomplish it is this: A main folder called 'My Documents' Within it I want folders named: 'Images' 'Video' 'Text' …and so on. But then I don't want the other 'My Pictures' or 'My Music' etc. since they would be redundant. What is the best way to accomplish this?
???

I recently bought a new Lenovo W530 Laptop from USA.
It comes with a Windows 8 Pro x64, license


so he has a legal copy of win 8 installed and working. shrugs.

:popcorn:

so he has a legal copy of win 8 installed and working. shrugs.


Yes he did have …originally (and a hidden recovery partition now scrubbed), but not now.

So downloading, burning and installing a pirated W8 ISO is an OK method of ridding a computer of bloatware, as long as your computer originally came with W8 installed?
Should we advise that course of action to remove bloatware to WTT members as legitimate means?

White-k was well advised how to remove bloatware and informed that to get his hands on a W8 pro disk, he would have to buy it not download it, as legal W8 ISOs are not provided by Microsoft. Sure, it seems unfair, but I don't make Microsoft or WTT policy.

So the use of pirated OSs is OK here and doesn't conflict with WTT terms of use?

I'm confused :wacko:
As long as there is a valid key or the key is imbedded in the firmware (UEFI) then this should be okay. For validation, please post an image of Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System. AT the bottom, under Windows Activation, it should say Windows is activated.

Let's say I would like to have one place with only the following folders:

Images
Videos
Text
Audio
Temp
Other

If I click on my username I get folders for My Photos, My Music etc… I would like to rename those folders so that they -stay- renamed.
When I renamed the 'Downloads'-folder to 'Temp' it stayed renamed for about 30 minutes and then for some reason it switched its name back to 'Downloads'. I tried it again and the same thing happened.

How do I remedy this?

This link may help you:
libraries in windows 7 & 8

I don't see a problem doing it as long as there is a valid key being used.

Maybe Doug or Blair can settle this for us.

For validation, please post an image of Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System. AT the bottom, under Windows Activation, it should say Windows is activated.

I can see future confusion if a screen shot of "Windows is activated" is all that is required for legitimacy if the situation comes up again.
That's what the auto-install reg hacks that come XP, W7, W8 pirated ISOs do, they active Windows and show the "Windows is activated" sign. It's just a fake activation hack.

"Ok, here's a screen shot. See, it's activated so it's legit" :lol:

I've had a few laptops brought in here for repair that were originally bought on ebay. All had W7 Ultimate (one with W8 pro) installed, but 3 to 12mths later suddenly display "this edition of Windows is illegal" and a black screen. Not very happy customers when they realized their "cheap" laptop suddenly turned into an expensive Laptop!

…the key is imbedded in the firmware (UEFI)

Software pirates are just going to just love that Microsoft "security measure". No need to ever buy a retail OS disk!

so he has a legal copy of win 8 installed and working. shrugs.


Yes he did have …originally (and a hidden recovery partition now scrubbed), but not now.

So downloading, burning and installing a pirated W8 ISO is an OK method of ridding a computer of bloatware, as long as your computer originally came with W8 installed?
Should we advise that course of action to remove bloatware to WTT members as legitimate means?

White-k was well advised how to remove bloatware and informed that to get his hands on a W8 pro disk, he would have to buy it not download it, as legal W8 ISOs are not provided by Microsoft. Sure, it seems unfair, but I don't make Microsoft or WTT policy.

So the use of pirated OSs is OK here and doesn't conflict with WTT terms of use?

I'm confused :wacko:


pretty simple really, if the pc/laptop was installed with whatever os and they have a legal key for it, then they can obtain a copy of that os from anywhere and use it to re-install to the same machine using it's original key, totally legally.

now there's no way i'd advise or condone anyone downloading that os from a torrent because it's more than likely malware ridden, but legally as long as they have a key for the machine it's going to be used on then they are fine.
that's my understanding anyway, and why we always say beg or borrow a disc from a friend to repair or do a re-install of the os on their own system if they don't have one.

:popcorn:

pretty simple really, if the pc/laptop was installed with whatever os and they have a legal key for it, then they can obtain a copy of that os from anywhere and use it to re-install to the same machine using it's original key, totally legally.

now there's no way i'd advise or condone anyone downloading that os from a torrent because it's more than likely malware ridden…

:popcorn:

Yup, the iso was hash-checked against a Microsofts own website where they list hashes of the MSDN-ISOs Microsoft themselves have available for download, and it was identical bit by bit.
So if I didn't have a valid product-key embedded in my BIOS for it, then this version would not have installed.

…but legally as long as they have a key for the machine it's going to be used on then they are fine.
that's my understanding anyway, and why we always say beg or borrow a disc from a friend to repair or do a re-install of the os on their own system if they don't have one.

Indeed. That's how I'm thinking too.
:popcorn:
The real point is, do we condone illegal ISO downloads at WTT for some purposes but not others?

If it is OK with the powers that be here to do so White-k, your original thread could have been concluded in two posts instead of two pages. Your first post and my reply.

White-k's 1st post to that thread: "How to make clean install of Windows 8 without bloat-ware" ?

What I want is to make a perfectly clean install of only Windows 8 without the bloat-stuff.

As far as I've read the product-key is already "installed" in the Bios on machines with Win8 pre-installed?
And I read somewhere I need an ISO-file with a clean Windows 8 Pro x64, but where can I find this?


My reply could have been:

No worries, considering W8 was already on you laptop, just download this illegal W8 pro download from xxxxxxxxx and burn the ISO to disk. The really good news is that you won't even have to use a reg. hack to validate as you product key is already embedded in the bios!


I would like to know what the "official" WTT policy is so I can or can't use that approach(?)
you can't use that approach, and i'm sure you know why. :D where they get the os from is no concern of ours as long as it's installed on a machine with a legal key when we're helping them with any problems. ;) all you can say is they either need to beg or borrow the same os from a friend or go out and buy another copy with another key. :popcorn:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI