I installed Realplayer on a Dell Inspiron 1501 Laptop. When I try to access a song from the internet (streaming), I get an initial (quick) message that states "low disk space - must free up space in order to stream" - that goes away quickly and then I get a message that some components are realplayer are not installed and realplayer tries to install those components, only to get another message/error that:
"you do not have enough disk space to install the selected update
Disk space required 118KB
Additional Disk Space needed 118KB
Please increase available disk space and click continue"
This doesn't make any sense to me, there is plenty of space on the hard drive (obviously for 118KB). Any ideas as to what this could be and how to fix? Is it a WIndows or Realplayer issue (I assume windows as I installed & uninstalled realplayer many times without success)? BTW, this is the free version of RealPlayer. Thanks in advance for any assistance with this.
Could be a fair few possible causes. You may actually have to free up some HDD space/check Virtual memory allocation etc etc. Or the Real Player installation may be corrupted. No harm trying the below first:
CHKDSK:
Click on Start >> double click on My Computer
Right click on the icon designated for the hard-drive (commonly C:\ ) and select Properties
Now click on the Tools tab.
In the Error Checking option click on the tab Check Now
When the 'Check Disk (Drive letter / name etc) window pops up select the two available options: Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt for recovery of bad sectors
In the next pop up window that basically explains a reboot is needed for the chkdsk to run click on Yes tab.
Note: Do not reboot yet!.
Disc Cleanup:
click Start >> Run and type cleanmgr in the box and press OK.
Ensure the boxes for Temporary Files, Temporary Internet Files and Recycle Bin are checked.
You can choose to check other boxes if you wish but they are not required.
Click on OK then Yes.
Now Reboot(restart) your computer.
Note: Now when your PC restarts and after the POST/RC option(if installed) you will be informed CHKDSK has been scheduled do you wish to cancel etc. Just ignore and let it run/scan. Go grab a coffee etc as this scan may take some time. If no joy afterwards we can have a rethink.
Thank you for the response, we'll give that a try and let you know if it works. It is interesting that I cannot find ANYTHING on the internet for this error. I wonder how rare this is & wonder if perhaps there is a major disk problem with this computer. Regardless, I will let you know how this goes. Thanks again.
Regards,
Z
You're welcome :). Hopefully what I suggested cures the issue, if not re-think time and maybe a more through investigation of the HDD. Actually this knowledge base artice from Microsoft bares quite a bit of relevance.
Nothing came up on chkdsk and cleaned, but still not working - any other ideas??? Could it be some setting in preferences under realplayer?
Hi zakg :).
I will be honest not sure about if a RealPlayer issuie or not. Before investigating that possible avenue lets make sure it is not a HDD/Hardware problem as follows(many thanks to Doug I swiped your can to suit ):
PCPitstop:
Please Run the PCPitstop Full Tests, here:
Register and create a password.
Accept the ActiveX component to allow your machine to run the Full Tests.
Registering and accepting the ActiveX are both SAFE and FREE.
Full Tests is the first item in the left hand column of that page.
The Full Tests take less than 5 minutes for most machines.
Once you have your Results, please post the TechExpress Link back here into this thread for review.
TechExpress is the last item on the list in the yellow box in upper right area of any Results page.
Post the entire URL link information back here into this Forum thread.
Caution: During the testing of Video Adapter, a variety of patterns, shapes, colors and text are “flashed” onto the users monitor screen. In the many thousands of daily uses of the PCPitstop Full Tests over several years, two individuals who suffer epilepsy experienced discomfort and temporary dizziness when viewing the flashing patterns. If you know that you are susceptible to photo driven seizure, look away from your screen during the Video Adapter testing sequence.
I didn't mention this on the original post, but I am helping a friend with this issue on her PC, I think that she may have flipped because of all the time she spent on this and decided to do a fresh install of XP. I'm not sure if she went forward with this or not, but if not, I will have her try PC Pitstop & may keep going with this. Again, I appreciate your assistance with this up to now and I will let you know if we continue with the Pitstop. Best, zakg
Ok thanks for letting myself know :). Pity she opted to reinstall but her choice :), may have been a repairable problem but all's well that ends well and if any problems in the future she can always seek assistance here in WTT .
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI