This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

How do I check if unauthorised people are using my connection?

9 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My ISP is providing me with a monthly limit of 8 gb bandwidth. I noticed that last month that my whole bandwidth is getting used up in just a matter of couple of days. When I made inquires to my ISP they told me that it's possible that someone is connecting to my account via my wireless Router. I am using a wireless D-Link router and don't know how to check if the wireless option is activated. Note I am on Windows XP and have two PCs connected via hardwire. Also I am terribly novice at this. Basically my question is: How do I check if others are using my account? I will appreciate very much any help.

My ISP is providing me with a monthly limit of 8 gb bandwidth. I noticed that last month that my whole bandwidth is getting used up in just a matter of couple of days. When I made inquires to my ISP they told me that it's possible that someone is connecting to my account via my wireless Router. I am using a wireless D-Link router and don't know how to check if the wireless option is activated. Note I am on Windows XP and have two PCs connected via hardwire. Also I am terribly novice at this.

Basically my question is: How do I check if others are using my account?

I will appreciate very much any help.


Hi myspace and welcome to WTT

You can configure your modem to de-activate the wireless on you d-link. When you bought the router you should have a CD that came with it, The user guide should be on the CD, you should read thru that first, it will tell you how to access the modem via a web browser and how to set it up.

The basics are you open a web browser, keyin the IP address of the router i.e http:\\192.168.1.1, some are 192.168.0.1 those varie depending on the make of the router. Once your at the config page (again be sure to check the user guide) there should be a tab or sidebar for "wireless" and then a option to dis able it.

If in the future you need to use the wireless, you can keep intruders from useing your wireless by setting up security, encription, etc. But for now the 1st thing would be to make sure no one else is using your connection and dis-ableing the wireless will take care of that.

Post back if you have any problems and the make and model of you d-link and I can find and read the exact procedure for the config.
Hi tonka001

Thank for being kind to offer to help. My D-Link Router (DSL-G624T)) didn't come with a cd. I was given the website http://192.168.1.1/cgi-bin/webcm to configure it which I did. But I am not sure if my settings are correct as far as the wireless function is concerned. There's so many tabs and funtions over at the website but it's very confusing. There's a log they say it should show the activity going thru the Router but when I click it I only get some information over a year old. So it seems it is not keeping logs.

I have two PCs connected and a dreambox digital. When I click on DHCP clients I get 4 clients. I can recognize my PC and the dreambox. The other two I am not sure, but one of them must be my other PC; I guess. I was wondering if the MAC address can be used to identify these connections. But I don't know how to find the MAC address of the PC :wub:

Thank you in advance for your help.
Hi Myspace1 Open a browser and type in 192.168.1.1 Username should be admin password should be blank or admin On the open page you should have some tabs on the side . One of them will be a wireless tab Click on that. Do you see an option for wireless radio on / off if yes click to off also check wireless Qos to disable then click apply Cheers peterm
Hello Peterm

I clicked the WIRELESS tab and got me to a screen which has:

These are the wireless settings for the AP(Access Point) Portion.

Enable AP


Also I noticed on the security radio buttons: NONE WEP WPA… NONE was checked. So it looks like a wrong choice, I think.

I ticked off the check mark on the "Enable AP" radio button. I guess that should do it, right?


EDIT: I still can not find the "Qos"
Are you in the UK ? I am trying to find a manual for your router.
Lets do the next best thing then and secure your wireless. Skip the update part if you want. By doing this people who want to access the wireless will need the password you use. I would change the ssid to something else like myspace1 or something you will remember.
Yes unchecking the AP will disable the wireless portion - If you want to use wireless then set security.
Secure wireless network with WPA-PSK

Step 1) Login to router, on the address http://192.168.1.1 from IE

Step 2) Verify that the firmware is up to date. Click here for instructions on firmware update.

We have firmware files available from our website and ftp site.

Step 3) Click Home then Wireless

Step 4) By default Enable AP with be checked. Keep this option checked as it is essential for the wireless networking.

Step 5) Keep existing SSID and Channel, or customize them to your wireless evironment.

Step 6) Select Security WPA and keep Group Key Intervall to default value.

Step 7) Select PSK String

Step 8) Enter your WPA-PSK key in String format, which meens characters a to z, 0 to 9 and most other keys on a brittish keyboad are allowed.

Step 9) Click Apply. The same page should appear again, with your new settings.

The dialogue "Privacy type is set to WPA. Multiple SSID support will be disabled." will appear, which is a notification that the router cannot have WPA security and Multiple SSID at the same time, therefore will disable Multiple SSID to allow the security. Click OK to accept the notification.

Step 10) Click Tools then System Commands

Step 11) Click Save All. When done click on back, then Restart.
Cheers
peterm

Step 12) The DSL-G624T will reboot. When booted up again it will only allow wireless connections with the WPA-PSK string you locked it to.
Good Luck myspace1 ….. I had a similar problem where I was unable to get wireless, yours seems to be the opposite. There should be a light on your modem for the wireless/WLAN and if it is on and flashes then you can see if someone else is using your bandwidth. Thanks to this forum I managed to sort out my problems, I am now wireless with an encripted wlan/modem, hope it goes ok for you and you follow the excellent advice from peterm, that should get you sorted.

Are you in the UK ? I am trying to find a manual for your router.
Lets do the next best thing then and secure your wireless. Skip the update part if you want. By doing this people who want to access the wireless will need the password you use. I would change the ssid to something else like myspace1 or something you will remember.
Yes unchecking the AP will disable the wireless portion - If you want to use wireless then set security.
Secure wireless network with WPA-PSK

Step 1) Login to router, on the address http://192.168.1.1 from IE

Step 2) Verify that the firmware is up to date. Click here for instructions on firmware update.

We have firmware files available from our website and ftp site.

Step 3) Click Home then Wireless

Step 4) By default Enable AP with be checked. Keep this option checked as it is essential for the wireless networking.

Step 5) Keep existing SSID and Channel, or customize them to your wireless evironment.

Step 6) Select Security WPA and keep Group Key Intervall to default value.

Step 7) Select PSK String

Step 8) Enter your WPA-PSK key in String format, which meens characters a to z, 0 to 9 and most other keys on a brittish keyboad are allowed.

Step 9) Click Apply. The same page should appear again, with your new settings.

The dialogue "Privacy type is set to WPA. Multiple SSID support will be disabled." will appear, which is a notification that the router cannot have WPA security and Multiple SSID at the same time, therefore will disable Multiple SSID to allow the security. Click OK to accept the notification.

Step 10) Click Tools then System Commands

Step 11) Click Save All. When done click on back, then Restart.
Cheers
peterm

Step 12) The DSL-G624T will reboot. When booted up again it will only allow wireless connections with the WPA-PSK string you locked it to.

I am in Bahrain.I have followed the steps you outlined and tested the wireless by trying to connect to internet from my other PC but it's not connecting. Which means something is not working right. In the past I am connecting my other PC to the Router via a cable. When I remove the cable, I can not connect so the wireless function is not working, it seems.
By the way I also enabled QoS. Am I supposed to enable that? I noticed three radio buttons "None", "PortMapping QoS" and "IP QoS". "None" was checked so I left it as is.
Thank you for being so kind and helpful. I must be doing something wrong on my side. Like I said I am kind of novice on this.

Good Luck myspace1 ….. I had a similar problem where I was unable to get wireless, yours seems to be the opposite. There should be a light on your modem for the wireless/WLAN and if it is on and flashes then you can see if someone else is using your bandwidth.

Thanks to this forum I managed to sort out my problems, I am now wireless with an encripted wlan/modem, hope it goes ok for you and you follow the excellent advice from peterm, that should get you sorted.

Originally when I started this topic I wasn't sure whether someone was using my connection thru the wireless. All I knew is that my monthly bandwidth ws being used up in just a couple of days. So I suspected that maybe someone is connecting via my wireless router. I was asking how to check who's connected. Going thru the 192.168.1.1 site and clicking thru all the tabs and options I found out how get that info from the DHCP clients. Now that I tried to connect with my other PC via wireless and am failing, it seems that I do have problem with the wireless function of the router.

By the way the light on the WAN is NOT flickering. Thanks for the info about that.

And yes the people are very helpful over here and the least we can do is be appreciative of their help.
No we want Qos disabled. _ I have found the manual.

In the past I am connecting my other PC to the Router via a cable. When I remove the cable, I can not connect so the wireless function is not working, it seems.

Ok because you can't connect via your wireless that is what we want.
If you cannot connect then no one else can.
So I assume your computer has a wireless adapter ?
Cheers
Peterm

No we want Qos disabled. _ I have found the manual.

So I assume your computer has a wireless adapter ?

OK, I disabled QoS. Wireless Adapter? No I don't have that. I suppose that must be the reason then… :pullhair:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI