This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

IE6 starts VERY slowly...

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

]For the past few days IE6 has been VERY slow to startup on my computer. It all seems to have started when I attempted to run the Windows OneCare Live scanner last weekend. I started the scan Friday afternoon, and when I came back into the office Monday, the scan was stuck at the "Compress Old Files" even after having let my computer perform the scan all weekend. I had to cancel the scan, and ever since then, every time I start IE, it takes about 2-3 minutes for the window to load. Once the window has loaded, it runs just fine, though. But, whenever I open a link in a new window, the same thing happens.

Here are a few things I have tried (in no particular order), none of which seemed to make anything better/worse:

* CCleaner
* Spybot - Search & Destroy
* AdAware
* F-Secure Blacklight Rootkit Scanner
* A-Squared Free Scanner
* Panda ActiveScan
* Uncompressed every file/folder on my hard drive (using "compact /u /s /a /i /q *.*" from the command line)
* Removed all the objects from the "Tools | Internet Options | General | Settings… | View Objects…"
* Deleted all cookies
* Deleted all temporary internet files
* Logged in as a different user account on this computer to see if IE loads slowly in that account also

I am now using FireFox, and it seems to work just fine, but would like to go back to IE if possible.

Here is my HiJackThis log:
Edited by paws..HJT log removed (to prevent search actions) and uplifted as an attachment
📎HJT.txt

Post your HJT log here please: http://forums.whatthetech.com/HijackThis_L…emoval_f27.html

I have (err…had) this posted over on the forum you suggested, but another admin closed the topic. What I don't understand is that the reason for closing stated that I should be posting in the same forum you suggested…but that's where the topic already was! Is it possible he closed the wrong post and meant to close this one instead? Here is the original link: http://forums.whatthetech.com/IE6_starts_V…631#entry454631

Thanks for the help,
Matt
OK, so it seems this problem is also occurring another computer in our office. Anyone have any idea what might be causing it, or, more importantly, how to fix it? I'm still not sure this is posted in the right forum, but my post got closed when I posted in the "HijackThis™ Logs and Infections Removal" forum, the post was closed for some reason. Can anyone help me out here? Thanks!

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI