This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
What the Tech Community

Introducing Myself.

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Hello, I'm a "Newbe" on this site. I was referred to this site by a respected Admin on www.geekstogo.com. He asked me to help out with a particular post. I’ve replied to this post as well as several OTHER posts. My name is John. I'm a 41 year old IT Tech with 18+ years of IT experience. While my main expertise is with Windows client/server Operating systems (NT, 2000, XP, 2003, Vista - server/client), I also have extensive experience with hardware and networking hardware/software. In addition, I've worked with MANY variants of UNIX - i.e. HP-UX, AT&T UNIX, Sequent DYNIX, RedHat & Fedora Core Linux, etc. Perhaps unrelated - I have extensive experience with telecom platforms - specifically AT&T/Lucent Definity G3 Switches, software & hardware, Octel Voicemail systems, ALL types of Panasonic PBX/Key/Voicemail systems. I've worked with several server operating systems - Novell Netware, MS NT/2000/2003/SBS2003, Linux, etc. I also have specialized experience with high-end PC-based audio hardware/software used for editing/mastering/producing HQ digital audio. My most recent IT focus has been on implementing, maintaining and supporting platform, network and applications for a Pediatric medical office - software includes SBS 2003, Lytec Pro 2006, SQL Server, IIS, MS Exchange, Terminal Services, MS VPN via TTPT protocol, MS Office, QuickBooks as well as several peripheral devices (printers, scanners, etc). I've also installed & implemented a Panasonic Digital Wireless telephone system, integrated with a Panasonic voicemail system with a customized automated attendant - comprised of call-center menus, voicemail boxes, etc. On a personal note - my passion is producing & mixing music using high-end PC software/hardware. I also do graphic design & website desigh as a site-note. I'm here to help those I can. I'm NOT interested in solving Malware/virus issues as this site is more tha WELL staffed to do so. For NON-Malware related issues - I'll gladly offer help where I can. Provided the rules are the same as www.geekstogo.com, I REALIZE that I’m not to post ANYTHING which support Malware, P2P software, Warez, password cracking, etc. I also respect the fact that there are other admins/moderators/techs on here with FAR more time/seniority here than myself. I'm NOT looking to become engaged in ANY heated or oppositional debates with anyone here. I don't believe this helps resolve the originating user with their question in ANY way. If you disagree or don't approve of my advice - for ANY reason - I ask that you PLEASE PM me rather than get into a heated debate in the topic/thread in question. I believe we're here to HELP people - not to engage them in technical debates. All of this said - I'm glad to be a part of this site and hope that a) I can help as many people as possible & B) I can forge a mutually respectful relationship with other admins/moderators and technical contributors on this site. I don’t yet have PM rights on this site. I’m not sure what this requires or when I’ll be granted PM rights. That said, hold off sending me PMs until I know that I’ve got the ability to use this site’s PM features. - John
Hi John, Its really great to see you here on the WTT site and we want to make you feel most welcome. This is a very friendly site and we all seem to get along really well……long may it continue. Your pm facility hopefully will automatically click in after 15 posts or therabouts, so you are practically there already! Do please feel to raise any questions you may have about WTT (although I do appreciate that you are a "seasoned campaigner" when it comes to forums. Regards paws
paws, Thanks for your positive feedback. I look forward to having PM capabilities. I've replied to about 10 or so threads here. Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm violating rules or giving inappropriate advice. My goal is to help here - NOT bump heads with ANYONE or break any of the sites rules. Doug on www.geeks.go.com said that I should contact you directly - so again - I appreciate your feedback. I'm trying to stick to unanswered or underanswered topics that have NO reference to Malware. If you personally see a technical post out there which DOES NOT have a malware solution and need help - PLEASE don't hesitate to contact me for feedback. Networking, Hardware & OS tend to be the areas where I can provide the most help. Again - thanks so much for your feedback. - John