This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Crashed !

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Some assistance needed. Computer crashed. I have brought system back up using another hard drive. I can access the crashed drive and copy files from it and am recovering 'lost' data this way. BUT … I cannot find the Outlook Express 'inbox' to copy. I can't find the addressbook either, but I can launch F:\program files\outlook express\ wab.exe, which apparently brings up the addressbook, on the corrupted drive. However it appears to be empty. One curiousity: I can launch outlook express from C drive. which has the current operating system on it; AND from F, which is the corrupted drive. When I do this, they both seem to be using the same information to come up with. In other words, if I launch OE from C and make a change in the screen format, then in a subsequent launch from F (the corrupted drive) the change is present here as well. I can add a contact to the address book when launched from either drive and it appears in the addressbook when I check it from either drive. This leads me to believe that no matter what`drive I am launching from, when I do the clicking, windows is going to C drive to launch, and using the C drive files for information. Or in other words, I suspect that when I launch wab.exe from F (the corrupted drive) I am actually going to the files on C drive to get the information. In other words, I suspect no matter where I alunch from, I am seeing the empty file on C: drive. If this is correct, then I probably havent lost the address book, I just cannot get to it, this way. I hope that made sense. Where is windows storing 'inbox', 'outbox', etc, (path and filename) so I can copy them to a good disk? Where does windows store the address book or have I definately lost the address book? thanks, skip
C:\Documents and Settings\YOURPROFILE\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{7B9BFF3F-2AC1-4670-A00B-3B1E7A59669D}\Microsoft

C:\Documents and Settings\XXXXXXX\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book

you might have to take ownership of the folder on the crashed drive if you made my documents private(I never do any more for this reason)

security can come back to bite you later

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI