Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Crashed !

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 carsonlp

carsonlp

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 09:36 AM

Some assistance needed. Computer crashed. I have brought system back up using another hard drive. I can access the crashed drive and copy files from it and am recovering 'lost' data this way. BUT ... I cannot find the Outlook Express 'inbox' to copy. I can't find the addressbook either, but I can launch F:\program files\outlook express\ wab.exe, which apparently brings up the addressbook, on the corrupted drive. However it appears to be empty. One curiousity: I can launch outlook express from C drive. which has the current operating system on it; AND from F, which is the corrupted drive. When I do this, they both seem to be using the same information to come up with. In other words, if I launch OE from C and make a change in the screen format, then in a subsequent launch from F (the corrupted drive) the change is present here as well. I can add a contact to the address book when launched from either drive and it appears in the addressbook when I check it from either drive. This leads me to believe that no matter what`drive I am launching from, when I do the clicking, windows is going to C drive to launch, and using the C drive files for information. Or in other words, I suspect that when I launch wab.exe from F (the corrupted drive) I am actually going to the files on C drive to get the information. In other words, I suspect no matter where I alunch from, I am seeing the empty file on C: drive. If this is correct, then I probably havent lost the address book, I just cannot get to it, this way. I hope that made sense. Where is windows storing 'inbox', 'outbox', etc, (path and filename) so I can copy them to a good disk? Where does windows store the address book or have I definately lost the address book? thanks, skip

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Interests:DVD Burning<br />Hardware<br />Malware

Posted 05 April 2008 - 10:42 AM

C:\Documents and Settings\YOURPROFILE\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{7B9BFF3F-2AC1-4670-A00B-3B1E7A59669D}\Microsoft

C:\Documents and Settings\XXXXXXX\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book

you might have to take ownership of the folder on the crashed drive if you made my documents private(I never do any more for this reason)

security can come back to bite you later