This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

MY INBOX IS GONE!

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi there, two days ago, my outlook express (v 5) started crashing big time. After running about everything I have (SpyBot, Adaware, disc scan, panda Activescan etc.) I was able to run it, but found that the entire Inbox content is gone. When I browesd to C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Identities\{FD0A7720-A1E2-11D5-9B5B-839BCFA47A36}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\Inbox, I found that besides the one message I got after reviving the program, all the other data is gibbrish!!! I had some realy important mail there that I still did not save, and I have the feeling that, although it may be corrupted, the data is still there. Can you help me? My HijackThis Header follows : Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1 Scan saved at 11:24:06, on 21/10/05 Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A) MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106) Thank You. Tsuki
Soiunds like a corrupted Outlook Expressinbox.dbx file. I guess you have not recently backed up the inbox folder by copying it to another directory.

Follwoing might help

A june 2004 MS KB articles covers the following

This issue may occur if you use the McAfee VirusScan antivirus program e-mail scanning function. If the McAfee VirusScan antivirus program is installed, the e-mail scanning features of the VirusScan program may cause the Inbox database file to be corrupted. When the e-mail scanning function is being used, database corruption may occur.

The Inbox.dbx file is the Outlook Express database file that is used for the Inbox folder. If this corruption occurs, the next time that you start Outlook Express, the Inbox.dbx database file is checked for consistency, the data that the VirusScan program corrupted is deleted, and a new first run "Welcome to Microsoft Outlook Express" message is generated.

It does mention a tool that may recover messages from a corrupted inbox file.

OLEXP: Outlook Express E-Mail Messages Are Missing from the Inbox Folder

http://support.microsoft.com/search/defaul…g+inbox&x=0&y=0

Good luck

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI