This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

I've somehow 'lost' my Search feature!

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi Kaz

Thanks for your response. I tried the "sfc /scannow" option, and my PC was scanned, but at the end of the operation the scan bar dissappeared, and no further messages came up. I then re-booted, just to see if that had fixed it, but it's still broke.

I had a look at the workaround suggested by paws (above), which links to another forum which suggests:


You could try reverting to the old classic windows search function, similar to windows 98.

Open up regedit, and goto: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CabinetState

Find the value, or create a new value string called: Use Search Asst

Set this value to: no

Then restart your computer. This should bring up the old search feature, which in my opinion works better. Setting the value to "yes" restores the search assistant.


But I'm unsure how to create new value strings and then how to set their values.

Is this worth trying, do you think, and if so, how should I do it (other than obviously backing up my Regy first !)?

Many thanks

ihatezlob

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI