This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

I've somehow 'lost' my Search feature!

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi Guys

I had a problem with some malware, which that star KEN545 over on the HijackThis forums was able to clear for me.

But one problem I still have (don't know if the malware caused it) is that the Search feature on my PC has now stopped working.

If I click 'Start' and then 'Search' I just get a blank box like this

[external image: Posted Image]

I'm running a Dell Vostro 200 with Windows XP Home Edition.

Grateful for any advice.

Many thanks

Nick
Hi ihatezlob,

Sorry to hear of the problem with your Search facility, but glad to hear you are now malware free. Here's a solution to the loss of the Search facility taken from Kelly's- Korner
(Kelly is a Microsoft MVP so the information is authoritative)

Search - Doesn't Work

Open Explorer and go to the Windows\Inf folder. Locate the srchasst.inf file. Right click it and select Install. You'll need your XP CD or the files from the I386 folder. (This fix will require you to have your Win XP CD).

The Windows\Inf folder is a hidden folder. You can adjust your Explorer Folder Options (View tab) to Show hidden files and folders. You can also click Start, Run and enter %SystemRoot%\Inf to open directly to the Inf folder.

Error: "A file that is required to run Search Companion cannot be found. You may need to run setup".

The file that is missing, or corrupt, is one of two. BAR.XSL or BALLOON.XSL (and/or other files in the same folder), depending on your search preferences. These files are both normally located in the Windows\srchasst\mui\0409 folder on your hard drive. These files may be locally cached in the Temporary Internet Files, so this may explain why some users have this problem "intermittently".

Error Message: "A File That Is Required to Run Search Companion Cannot Be Found" (Q315330)
Windows XP Search Companion Does Not Work Because of File Corruption (Downloadable Fix)

The problem stems from Search Assistant being unable to connect to http://sa.windows.com. This can be caused by proxy servers, firewalls and some "ad blocking" software.

For further info go to Kelly's site at:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm

Regards
paws
Thanks Paws I've had a good play with my original Dell Windows XP installation disk, but Search still doesn't work. Any further thoughts? Nick
Hi,
If you have tried Kelly's fix and still have no "Search" facility then its time for you to go here:
http://www.duxcw.com/yabbse/index.php?boar…y;threadid=6803
Have a look at FreddeX's fix and check on TweakUi

If you decide to edit your Registry then be sure to back it up first……as one mistake could render your machine unbootable (if you are unlucky.)
A good tool for backing up the Registry is ERUNT available free from here:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html
Regards
paws
Hi,
I have just received a message from kazzoo, who kindly looked in on this thread and comments that if after you have tried all the above fixes and find you still cannot get the "Search" to work then its worth re-registering the following .dll's, so try the following:

1. Click Start,
2 Click Run,
3 type in the white box
cmd
4 click OK.
5 Type the following commands, and then press ENTER after each command:

regsvr32 jscript.dll
regsvr32 msxml.dll
regsvr32 vbscript.dll
exit

Now close down your machine and wait 30 secs with a blank, black screen and then restart your computer
See how you go. Further info. available from :
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913503
Regards
paws
Thanks for your thoughts guys.

I tried paws suggestion first and went to FreddeX's fix (having first backed up my Regy using ERUNT) and despite successfully navigating into the recesses of my Registry, when I got to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\

I couldn't find a folder/file called NotFind, so that one sadly didn't work.

I then followed kazzoo's suggestion, and re-registered the three .dlls, but that did nothing either!

Sorry to be such a pain . Any other thoughts?

Many thanks

Nick
I don't want to place too many "cooks" in this kitchen, but you might try re-registering two more things, according the instructions above.

regsvr32 wshom.ocx
regsvr32 urlmon.dll

You might also have a look at the registry edits here.
Thanks for the extra input, webbie, but still no luck. Would it be possible to restore the search function by using that repair option from the install disc?
Hi Paws, thanks for the advice, but the score is now "no search function 3, - Rick 0" :pullhair: One of the artcles in all this mentioned Symantec products as a possible cause, and tho I have never had that on this machine, I wonder if it is something similar? Anyway, thanks for the effort. Rick
Greetings ihatezlob: Lets give this a go. Insert Windows OS disk in CD drive after you have booted up and are on your desktop. If the selection window comes up, exit it. Click: Start -> Run and type in "sfc /scannow" (no quotes and a space before the slash), and then click OK. This will perform a complete Windows file check and replace any missing or corrupt OS files to original Microsoft specifications. Let us know how you fare. Regards Kaz.
Have you seen this MS Article? I see you've tried some of the suggested fixes, like re-registering jscript.dll, but there are other things suggested in it.
Hi again. Well kazzoo, I did as you suggested, but got a dialogue box telling me to insert my copy of XP Professional, whereas I am running XP Home, so that was a bust, lol.Guess I better amend my specs in the sidebar. And, Ztruker, I dont see any kind of link to the MS article you mentioned. :wall: lol Thanks again tho.
Greetings All, The information I was giving out was for Ihatezlob. What part of "greetings ihatezlob" is "Rick-G" included? Rick-G, are you ihatezlob? If not ,you are hijacking his thread. If you have been around forums boards enough you should know what that means. ilovezlob was here first and should not be interupted. I was not posting for you. (Far as I can see none of the posts above were ever for your response.) I would ask or suggest you sit on your hands and wait and watch. Go start your own thread on this subject if you are in a hurry. Because of the confusion of who is posting to whom will get nothing but worse. If you have something to contribute to the repair of ILOVEZLOBS machine by all means post. Regards Kaz.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI