This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Firefox & IE cannot find modem, AOL can

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have broadband connection running via a 'Neuf' box. The modem is fully functional as is the dsl line. I can read my e-mails and connect ot the web using AOL 9.1 (English) version. Recently, I lost the ability to 'see' the modem with either Firefox (2.0.0.12) or IE6. I have Bitdefender internet Security 2008 installed. Turning off the firewall has no effect. The problem rests on this PC as an older PC, running Firefox 1.5, functions normally. I suspect that AOL 9.1 has introduced some sort of block but not at the time of initial installation as , for a while, all three browsers worked. Where to look ?
Hi BSB, sorry to hear of the problems with your machine. I see you have posted the same sort of question over in the malware removal forum. It would be wise therefore for us to wait until your machine's HJT log has been analysed, by a trained malware fighter. If "undesirable elements" are found, detailed and specific advice and instructions will be provided by him/her. Once your machine has been declared clean, feel free please to post back here in this thread if you are still having issues with your computer and we will do our best to help. Often the number of folks who are in trouble and need help with checking and cleaning their machine exceed the number of volunteer experts available so if you can, try and be patient in waiting for a response, (although I know this can be tough when you suspect your machine is infected.) Please be assured that they will get to your post as soon as they can. Regards paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI