This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Need good video card brand ideas

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Recently I found out that ATI doesn't even beta test their video card updates. This was according to Obsiden Entertainment partnered with LucasArts that made KOTOR 2. People have said in both KOTOR 1 and 2 people have experienced issues. So I also noticed that the driver updates have been causing my computer weird error messages all taking about a device driver. The only device driver I've done anything with is the video card. After talking with Obsiden, they said I should rollback to the November 11, 2007 driver update. So I did. No longer any errors. Since these developments with ATI and their recent updates causing me issues and the fact they don't beta test their releases updates, I want to know of other popular video card brands for the new computer I will get in a couple or so years. Since after all, Microsoft will discontinue service for XP in 2011. I use to use NVIDIA. How's that. Any other video card brands would you recommend?
Hi toruser, :adios:

That's interesting, but a simple Google search reveals this link, which enables people to register for beta drivers for AMD video (formerly ATI) cards. I'm sure AMD would test them to ensure they work before releasing them to the public as beta drivers, to then work on any specific issues that arise.

I'm going to hazard a guess that the current issues you are having would be due to a clash with another program or setting already on your computer.

Nonetheless, as far as I'm concerned, both AMD and Nvidia make great graphics cards. Which model is right for you depends on what uses you have for the computer.

Other manufacturer's of graphics are all integrated motherboard solutions, that I'm aware anyway.

In particular, there are third-party manufacturer's that make the cards for AMD and Nvidia, are these the "brands" you wanted a recommendation on?

Cheers

Troy
Thanks. Yeah brands as in what cards are good for today. What works best with today's games and can still work well with older games that were made in say 2003. Often compatibility can be sacrificed due to a new card simply being made for very recent games. Just trying to find a middle ground between compatibility and great graphics.
ATI and the catalyst control center and net 3 and vista with DX10 must have been an ambitious project, some users of XP are reporting
sucess by just using the newest standard drivers and bypassing the cli issue.

Nvidia has not been without issues either, such are always the problems with "bleeding edge" hardware.

ATI seems to have chosen a better approach for high definiton video than Nvidia, whatever card you choose will be obsolete in a year for the newest games or you'll pay a huge premium and suffer a heck of a depreciation.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_2007.html

from this chart you can see the 8800gt has almost caught last years 500$ card in performance in heavy duty gaming

this will start all over again with the release of the 9000 series of nvidia cards

A dedicated gamer is always upgrading and has deep pockets

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI