This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Backup and new computer planning

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I was planning to around about 2011 to get a new computer since by the Microsoft will discontinue service for XP by then. But recently I had a bad win32 Rootkit Agent issue which I ended up having to do maintance and registry optomizer along with scans to finally correct the probelm. Afterwards I got a message saying windows has recovered from a serious error.

That situation I'm currently discussing here: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Ad-Aware-de…nt-t189605.html However, though Ad Aware now says I'm clear I still think that since this, I should prepare for the future and just in case. I do have a flash drive which I use to backup a few program installers, a list of what's on my pc, things like that. What I would like to know is this.

I heard that when you get a nwe comptuer, the old computer has 2 drives. One that contains your hard drive (windows and such) and another that contains your info like your name, social, registration, etc. I heard that for security purposes your supposed to grid up the drive with the registration info. What devices do this?

Also how do I know what programs on my pc will work with Vista? Here's a list of what I have:
7-Zip
ABBYY FireReader 5.0 Sprint
Ad Aware 2007
Adobe ExtendScript Toolkit 2
Adobe Fireworks CS3
Adobe Flash Player Plugin
Adobe Reader 7.0.5 Language Support
Adobe Reader 7.0.9
Adobe Shockwave Player
Adobe Stock Photos CS3
Apple Mobile Device Support
Apple Software Update
ATI Software Uninstall Utility
ATI Display Driver
ATI Parental Control & Encoder
AVG Anti Virus 7.5
AVG Anti Rootkit Free
BCM V.92 56K Modem
Belarc Advisor 6.1
Bink and Smacker
Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office System
Dell ResourceCD
DivX Codec
DivX Content Updater
DivX Converter
DivX Player
DivX Web Player
Fax Tools
FinePixViewer 4.2
FUJIFILM USB Driver
Garmin WebUpdatter
Google Earth
HijackThis 2.0.2
HP Photo and Imaging 1.0 - HP Photosmart Printer Series
IBM ViaVoice TTS Runtime v6.610 - UK English
IBM ViaVoice TTS Runtime v6.610 - US English
ICQ 5
ImageMixer VCD2 for FinePix
Intel® PRO Ethernet Adapter and Software
ITunes
Java ™ 6 Update 4
Kazaa Lite Resurection 0.0.8
Lexmark X5100 Series
Microsoft .Net Framework
Microsoft .Net Framework 1.1Hotfix (KB928366)
Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1
Microsoft .Net Framework 3.0 Service Pack 1
Microsoft Compression Client Pack 1.0 for Windows XP
Microsoft Office Access 2003
Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003
Microsoft Office XP Media Content
Microsoft Sapi 5.1
Microsoft Spai Voice for XP
Microsoft Silverlight
Microsoft User-Mode Driver Framework Feature Pack 1.0
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
Microsoft WINASPI
MISource
Mozilla Firefox (2.0.0.12)
MSN Messenger 5.0
MSN Music Assistant
MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB927978)
MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB936181)
MSXML 6.0 parser (KB933579)
Nero
Photosmart 130,230,7150,7345,7350,7550 (Remove Only)
PowerDVD
QuickTime
RealPlayer
Secunia PSI (RC1)
Shockwave
Sound Blaster Live!
SpamFighter
Spybot - Search & Destroy
Spybot - Search and Destroy 1.5.2.20
Teamspeak 2 RC2
URGE
ViewPoint Media Player
WinASO Registry Optimizer 3.2
Windows Installer 3.2 (KB893803)
Windows Internet Explorer 7
Windows Media Format 11 Runtime
Windows Media Player 11
Windows XP Service Pack 2
XviD MPEG-4 Video Codec
ZoneAlarm

On the new computer will you still be able to use your old e-mail addresses or will I have to make a new one. I have outlook express 6.

Finally, when you wipe the old computer does that remove that computer's ip address?
I'm glad you are doing your homework, but I am afraid you are the one that has to do it! ;)

For all your programs, just go out to their website an make sure you have the latest version - it will say if it supports Vista, or if you need to load something different.

heard that when you get a nwe comptuer, the old computer has 2 drives. One that contains your hard drive (windows and such) and another that contains your info like your name, social, registration, etc.

I think there's some confusion. What some folks do is install the harddrive from the old computer as the second drive in the new computer. This way, they still have access to that old data. Note that most of the programs will not run because they were "installed" on that computer - the new Windows is not aware of them.

I heard that for security purposes your supposed to grid up the drive with the registration info. What devices do this?

Grid? Grind? Not sure what you mean - but, before getting rid of any old hard drives, they should be "erased" or scrubbed. This is because deleting files only marks the space as available, and even after a format, a bad guy can retrieve data. So the correct way to ensure a HD is clear of any of your personal data, you use a tool that writes a bunch of random 1s and 0s in every byte on the disk - thus ensure there is no residual data (organized magnetic fields). Eraser works well for that.

On the new computer will you still be able to use your old e-mail addresses or will I have to make a new one. I have outlook express 6.

Yes, same email address - it does not matter what email client (program) you use.

Finally when you wipe the old computer does that remove that computer's ip address?

Well, yes, no, maybe, that depends. In any event, it is probably not important because when you connect up your new computer, you will most likely get a new IP - depending on how you connect to your network/Internet.
Great info. Thanks. The reason for the ip question is because I got out of this bad video game clan and they have the ability to track someone down and one a former member had some guys come to his house. So though the new computer has a new IP I'm just wanting to make sure the old pc's ip is either erased or changed so it can't be possibly traced. I've asked this question is a way before, but just wanting to know if it's gone for a computer that's been wiped and had that eraser you recommended. Here's an idea. Let's say your in California and you have an IP and let's say you change location and move yourself and computer to another state. Will that IP be different or still on a map point to the Internet Provider's grid location? I ask this because if the old unmagnatized computer is in a dump somewhere does it's location depend on the ip. If so then even if they traced it they would find a dump pile. I ask this not only because though leaving that clan was a couple months ago they do have me banned from their forum by IP and Host name so I do not want them to have the possibility of tracing the old IP. That's why I want the old IP to be useless to them as far as tracking or getting info from.
It is not likely they traced him to his house through the IP. Remember, most home users get their IP assignments via DHCP - or dynamically, from their ISP. This means the IP can, and often does, change every time the gateway (the cable or DSL modem) is power cycled. If your ISP assigns static IPs, just call them up and tell them you want another. If you move across county, you will surely get a new IP.
I see. It's not like I was going to move or anything I simply wanted to figure out if the old pc drive was wiped and had the eraser done to it that if the old drive then moves the the dump pile that I guess since it's in a new location that it's ip wolud change? Since I plan to get a new comptuer anyway. Most things are on disks and my flash drive. This computer is old. It's RAM is DDR type. I got it in 2001. What do you mean by cycle for the modem. Is there a way you make it cycle?

Is there a way you make it cycle?

Yes. Unplug it and plug it back in. The longer you leave it unplugged, the more likely you will automatically get a new IP - that is, IF your ISP uses dynamic IP assignment.

And if the old HD is erased using a scrubber program, you old IP can not be identified.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI