Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Backup Backup Backup

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:59 PM

Why Should you BackupMacrium Reflect Free Backup
Free Backup for Windows.
DriveImage XML Backup Software

So the question is, if you started up your computer and nothing happened, just a blank screen, no beep, just nothing which can be caused by a myriad of things, bad virus, power surge, bad sectors, Hard drive died, burnt out mother board etc etc, and the worse case scenario you had to reformat your hard drive, or even buy a new computer.......would you have all your important and precious files ready to install again?

If you do, then WELL DONE!!, if not why not, it is not hard to backup to say a DVD | CD | Flash Stick | External Hard drive, there are numerous options to choose from.

How to decide what to backup will show you how with the built in backup options for XP and Vista, or you can use many of the backup/image software programs, either way if you do not have a backup somewhere I urge you to make the effort, or if daunted by the prospect get someone to help you, you will not regret it.

Backup image software does cost, but well worth it are Ghost and Acronis. I have both backed up to external HD's, I have used them both in an emergency and was up and running in just over half an hour.

Secure PC Backup and Storage
How to use Vista's Complete PC Backup and Restore

best regards,

Edited by tallin, 03 May 2019 - 09:15 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 DanielD

DanielD

Silver Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:36 PM

I've come so close to learning this the hard way, I hope no one will make the mistake of being lazy and not backing up data. Good post Tallin.
The internet's most useful tool, Google.

"Life's like a game of Poker, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose" - Garfield

#3 Abydos

Abydos

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:08 PM

Just to add to the list of backup programs.

I find this backup utility very useful as a file backup program.
Vista users may find it especially useful, since Microsoft
(To my knowledge) left out the ntbackup feature.

It is a open source project under Mozilla Public licens up to version
8 (Black Moon), version 9 is still free, but not open source.

I suggest one read the Feature part, as the program make
backups in a different way than other programs.

http://www.educ.umu....obianbackup.htm

And then, just to quote a sentence I once stumbled upon in a MS article.

"Real men don't make backup's, real men cry a lot"

Cheers

Edited by Abydos, 14 April 2009 - 06:09 PM.

Abydos

Asking for Technical Help

Preventing Malware Slow PC? Recovery Console!

"I am not young enough to know everything" - Oscar Wilde

#4 HFCG

HFCG

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:I like historical buildings, ghost, and dogs &cats

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:36 PM

Windows Vista does have a back up program that ships with home premium and above. It is a good back up solution that is easy to set up. The back up runs automatically at the set time, and if you are backing up to removable media will remind you to insert a disc (DVD/CD) Using a USB flash drive is a way to back up files, but be aware that flash memory devices do have a limited read/write life and when they go bad you will not recover your data. BACK UP YOUR DATA.

Deo gratiam habeamus
Thank you for considering a Donation to What the Tech!
The purple text in my post are links for you to click on
Computer CPUs are designed so that the address of any piece of data in virtual memory is tracked by a single integer register. So the total amount of data the computer can keep in its working field depends on the width of these registers. A 32 bit register size enables 232 addresses (4 GB) to be referenced. Switching to a 64 bit register increases the available address space to (approximately) 16 TB. This is why 32 bit operating systems can only use up to 4 GB of RAM, and 64 bit operating systems can use much more. (I have a 32 bit system)

#5 Abydos

Abydos

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:11 PM

Windows Vista does have a back up program that ships with home premium and above.

Thanks for clearing that up HFCG :thumbup:

Just a note to the Cobian version 9 i link to above. It will also
backup 64 BIT systems.

Cheers

Abydos

Asking for Technical Help

Preventing Malware Slow PC? Recovery Console!

"I am not young enough to know everything" - Oscar Wilde

#6 RexHope

RexHope

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Photography

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:00 PM

Backup will save your life when your Windows won't start up any more! You have no worry about losing any data.