This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Digging through the closet

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello all. I'm trying to bring an old junker PC back to life for use as a web surfer and having a bit of trouble. Right now I'm just tryin to see what works so I only have the motherboard, RAM, and video card hooked up. The first thing I noticed is that when I power up don't get any beep from the motherboard. It is getting power b/c the CPU fan spins up. Also no video at all. The mother board is new and I have tried 2 different video cards. Specs MOBO: PCchips M811 series (can't seem to find anything from googling about beep codes) RAM: Centon PC 2700 256MB VIDEO CARDS: PNY Verto GeForce4 MX420 - AGP 4x - 64 MB Gigabyte Radeon 9550 - AGP 8X - 128 MB Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Kage,

You say this is an "old junker" and you intend to bring it back to life… So what happened to it when it died? Or did you acquire it "dead"?

After a little more reading on the issue, the link paws gave you could be very valuable. Though the specs claim support for AGP 4x, the thread seems to be saying that people are only having luck getting the computer to work running an AGP 2x or 1x card. I would be tempted to find one of these slower cards and try it.

Another major point is that you have PC 2700 256MB RAM installed in the machine. PC 2700 = 333MHz, and the motherboard specifications (located here) only state up to DDR 266MHz RAM is supported. I would think that you need to grab a slower stick of RAM and try it instead.

I hope this is helpful. Please post back and let us know what you have tried, or any further questions.

Cheers

Troy

You say this is an "old junker" and you intend to bring it back to life… So what happened to it when it died? Or did you acquire it "dead"?


It was an old one that used to work. It's been a long time since I got my new system and retired this one. I believe there was an issue with it not powering up(no fans or anything) and after trying a new PSU I gave up on it(I had been wanting a new PC at that time anyway :) )

After a little more reading on the issue, the link paws gave you could be very valuable. Though the specs claim support for AGP 4x, the thread seems to be saying that people are only having luck getting the computer to work running an AGP 2x or 1x card. I would be tempted to find one of these slower cards and try it.


I did run through them and didn't fully understand the AGP incompatibility. With what they were saying would a 4X card work at all but with only 2x capability or not at all? Unfortunately I don't have any other compatible video cards. I'm not really wanting to invest in another card for this. From what I read on those boards about PCCHIPs I may want to look at a new MOBO first :\


Another major point is that you have PC 2700 256MB RAM installed in the machine. PC 2700 = 333MHz, and the motherboard specifications (located here) only state up to DDR 266MHz RAM is supported. I would think that you need to grab a slower stick of RAM and try it instead.


I have two other sticks of RAM that I think are older but don't have any labels on them. I tried them both one at a time. Also tried with no RAM inserted(I should still be able to get the BIOS screen right?) still nothing, the fan kicks on but no beeps or video.

That's for the help.

Another major point is that you have PC 2700 256MB RAM installed in the machine. PC 2700 = 333MHz, and the motherboard specifications (located here) only state up to DDR 266MHz RAM is supported. I would think that you need to grab a slower stick of RAM and try it instead.


I have two other sticks of RAM that I think are older but don't have any labels on them. I tried them both one at a time. Also tried with no RAM inserted(I should still be able to get the BIOS screen right?) still nothing, the fan kicks on but no beeps or video.

Hi there again,

I am unsure if the computer should POST without any RAM, I've never tried it. Perhaps somebody else may know about this. I was not able to find much relevant information with a Google search…

It's possible that the sticks of RAM you also tried are faulty or are the faster speed as well. You need to be able to try in the machine, some good RAM sticks rated at PC 2100.

It's all I can think of, at this stage.

Cheers

Troy
Hi Kage,

I just decided to have some fun. I pulled out my RAM and booted up. I got no video on the screen at all, and a constant, short beep.

I then re-inserted the RAM, and here I am. So my experience is that you won't be able to get POST or access BIOS without RAM in the machine.

I thought you might like to know this.

Cheers

Troy
Good to know, I could have sworn i seen them boot up w/out RAM but maybe I'm crazy :P. I dont get any beeps at all either way. I'm kinda thinkin this cheapo MOBO is a problem.
Hi Kage, Seeing as it's new, why don't you see if you can exchange the motherboard for another one? Mine was definitely beeping without the RAM! I still think you need to grab some known-good RAM (PC-2100) and give it a shot. Cheers Troy
Well exchanging might be a problem. It was new as in the box was never opened but it had been sitting in my closet for close to a year. On top of that I got it at CompUSA which has since closed down here in OK. I wish I new the specs on the RAM I have but I tried googling every number I could find on them and couldn't find much. :(
Hi Kage,

This looks to be quite a shame about the motherboard.

I had a quick search for you, a 512MB stick of PQI RAM at PC-2100 speed will set you back about $26 including delivery from Newegg. Here's the link to the product. I would think 512MB would be well and truly sufficient for your rig.

On the other hand, you may not wish to be spending any more on the computer than you already have. Either way, if you've tried all the sticks you currently have with no joy, then it's not going to help us any further in your quest!

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Cheers

Troy

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI