This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

My Dell Laptop wont read CD-R

9 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hey everyone! :thumbup:, I am trying to burn CD's with some music, using either I-Tunes or Windows Media Player, When I insert the CD-R disk into my Laptop it tried to read it, but unfortuantly for me it wont, This is my first time trying to burn audio cd's on this laptop. My laptop is a Dell XPS M1210. please help.
GaryOR-LFC, Have you burned a music CD on another machine and now trying to play (listen to it) on your laptop? If so, does the CD properly play on the machine on which it was originally recorded?
Hey Doug, thanks for posting. :thumbup: Well, Yes CD's do work on my laptop, burned ones aswell, I recently had a friends CD ripped onto my laptop and that CD was burned. But today, when I got some Phillips CD-R disks, I put one in, and it recognised it but then I tried to burn and it wouldn't, it also said somthing on I-Tunes, I wasn't quite sure what it said. I then took the CD out and tried to put a different blank disk in, but this time it wouldn't even recognise it, It isn't coming up saying anything, and it isn't appearing on the CD/DVD Drive. It makes noises like it is trying to read it but after it just gives up on trying to read it.
I see similar problems with dells and itunes

both tend to use sonic filter drivers, what's this software?

Media Direct software installed for quick boot up to play movies, music and view photos on your hard drive, optical drive or external storage devices


test the drive with some boot disks, if it fails any of those tests, return on warranty

if it passes then we need to start removing the filter drivers to track down the conflict

http://www.bustrace.com/products/devfilter.htm

this program will show the filters installed

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben…p;x=12&y=13

this walkthru will remove all of them and break some features of some programs, they should have just gone ahead and abandoned this mess with easy cd and adaptec, for all I know MS used their core again with vista

unfortunately I just realized you might be using vista, if so we can use a burning program to remove the filters?
in addition, those drives are best saved for loading recovery disks and burning important backup data a good external can be had for 60-100$ and will outlast that one 10-1 phlips media is some of the lowest quality accross the board, which is funny since they invented the cd and are in charge of most of the liscensing in the industry???

I see similar problems with dells and itunes

both tend to use sonic filter drivers, what's this software?

Media Direct software installed for quick boot up to play movies, music and view photos on your hard drive, optical drive or external storage devices


test the drive with some boot disks, if it fails any of those tests, return on warranty

if it passes then we need to start removing the filter drivers to track down the conflict

http://www.bustrace.com/products/devfilter.htm

this program will show the filters installed

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben…p;x=12&y=13

this walkthru will remove all of them and break some features of some programs, they should have just gone ahead and abandoned this mess with easy cd and adaptec, for all I know MS used their core again with vista

unfortunately I just realized you might be using vista, if so we can use a burning program to remove the filters?


I havn't tried this yet, but I have an update on my laptop, it wont read ANY Cd's anymore, I remember it stopped working when I tried to burn Cd's on I-Tunes, I-Tunes asked me to "optimize" the disk and I said yes, After it stopped working, is there any way to reverse this??

After it stopped working, is there any way to reverse this


by following those steps I outlined

start with a boot disk and test

most manufacturers start with a system recovery or total clean reinstall, I find that premature
CD/DVD Devices

—————————————————-
Filter Driver Load Order http://www.bustrace.com
—————————————————-

Upper Device Filter: redbook
Device Object: SONY DVD+-RW DW-Q58A
Lower Device Filter: imapi

Driver Name: redbook.sys
File Location: c:\windows\system32\drivers
File Description: Redbook Audio Filter Driver
File Version: 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) [5.1.2600.2180]
Product Name: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Product Version: 5.1.2600.2180 [5.1.2600.2180]
Company Name: Microsoft Corporation

Driver Name: imapi.sys
File Location: c:\windows\system32\drivers
File Description: IMAPI Kernel Driver
File Version: 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) [5.1.2600.2180]
Product Name: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Product Version: 5.1.2600.2180 [5.1.2600.2180]
Company Name: Microsoft Corporation



And Disk Drives

—————————————————-
Filter Driver Load Order http://www.bustrace.com
—————————————————-

Upper Class Filter: PartMgr
Device Object: FUJITSU MHV2060BH
Lower Filter Drivers: No Lower Filter Drivers specified for this device

Driver Name: partmgr.sys
File Location: c:\windows\system32\drivers
File Description: Partition Manager
File Version: 5.1.2600.0 (XPClient.010817-1148) [5.1.2600.0]
Product Name: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Product Version: 5.1.2600.0 [5.1.2600.0]
Company Name: Microsoft Corporation

OK, I just tried to put a DVD in and it worked, it was LOST Season 3 I put in and it loaded up, what do I do now??
GaryOR-LFC,

OK, it's a positive thing that you can display a DVD.

In order to help you at this point, we need to know what continues to be causing trouble.
Are you still unable to display CD media?
CD's being recognized but not playing?

Give as detailed a description as you can.
Include any ERROR Messages that occur.
____________________________________

Also tell us what you have completed from the above recommended procedure.

For instance, did you follow the Guided Help or the Manual procedures recommended by the MS article?
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben…p;x=12&y=13

If not, and you are still having problems, then proceed with the MS recommendations.
OK, The Microsoft link that DaChew gave me, I did not have any upper or lower filters to start off with, when I used Microsoft Autofix it didn't help, all it done was said the device is either malfunctioned or somthing else, I can't remember what it said, My problem now is that I can read DVD Disks, well LOST is the only one I tried and it worked but still made some irregular noises when loading but it still loaded up, I tried to install my Zen Microphoto MP3 player installation disk and it just wont load, it does the EXACT same thing as other CD's that won't load. No Error messages occur, I litterly just put the disk into the drive, and then it tries to load up, but it won't then after a while of loading up it just gives up and stops loading, it doesn't do anything and when I go to "My Computer" it does not display the CD that is in the disk drive.
Consider uninstalling any third-party media players. (you can install them one at a time later, to test which one might be involved)
I only have 2 Media Players, which are Windows Media Player and i-Tunes, uninstall i-Tunes? EDIT: i-Tunes is uninstalled.
What "burning software" do you have installed on the machine?
— Note: let's stick to one machine at a time.
Let us know which machine you are referring to.
_________________

Have a look in Device Manager.
Any yellow or red warnings? Particularly in under Optical Drivers/ CD/DVD Drives
____________________

Let's also get an overview of your machine.

Please Run the PCPitstop Full Tests, here:
http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/default.asp
Register and create a password
Accept the ActiveX component to allow your machine to run the Full Tests
Registering and accepting the ActiveX are both SAFE and FREE.
Full Tests is the first item in the left hand column of that page.

The Full Tests take less than 5 minutes for most machines.
Once you have your Results, please post the TechExpress Link back here into this thread for review.
TechExpress is the last item on the list in the yellow box in upper right area of any Results page.
Post the entire URL link information back here into this Forum thread.

Caution: During the testing of Video Adapter, a variety of patterns, shapes, colors and text are “flashed” onto the users monitor screen. In the many thousands of daily uses of the PCPitstop Full Tests over several years, two individuals who suffer epilepsy experienced discomfort and temporary dizziness when viewing the flashing patterns.
If you know that you are susceptible to photo driven seizure, look away from your screen during the Video Adapter testing sequence.

What "burning software" do you have installed on the machine?
— Note: let's stick to one machine at a time.
Let us know which machine you are referring to.
_________________

Have a look in Device Manager.
Any yellow or red warnings? Particularly in under Optical Drivers/ CD/DVD Drives
____________________

Let's also get an overview of your machine.

Please Run the PCPitstop Full Tests, here:
http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/default.asp
Register and create a password
Accept the ActiveX component to allow your machine to run the Full Tests
Registering and accepting the ActiveX are both SAFE and FREE.
Full Tests is the first item in the left hand column of that page.

The Full Tests take less than 5 minutes for most machines.
Once you have your Results, please post the TechExpress Link back here into this thread for review.
TechExpress is the last item on the list in the yellow box in upper right area of any Results page.
Post the entire URL link information back here into this Forum thread.

Caution: During the testing of Video Adapter, a variety of patterns, shapes, colors and text are “flashed” onto the users monitor screen. In the many thousands of daily uses of the PCPitstop Full Tests over several years, two individuals who suffer epilepsy experienced discomfort and temporary dizziness when viewing the flashing patterns.
If you know that you are susceptible to photo driven seizure, look away from your screen during the Video Adapter testing sequence.


Thanks for the heads up about the Pitstop test :thumbup: , I do not have any burning software on my machine, I only use the basic Windows Media Player or i-Tunes. there is no yellow or red triangles in the device manager, I am referring to the Sony Drive (the one that you put the dvd's and cd's in)

Here is my PC Pitstop review http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=YFXSTWGD66GSWJGG

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI