Click on Start. When the Start window opens, locate and click on Search
Search for Normal.dot
For each occurrence of Normal.dot that appears, right-click the file and select, "Rename" from the drop down list. Rename the file to "oldNormal.dot" and restart Word.
Many times this file becomes corrupt and renaming it will cause word to create a fresh copy of the file.
Hopefully that helps word.
_____________________
Download and Save Blacklight to your desktop:
You will have to hit the Accept button:
Then download Blacklight Beta graphical user interface version
should be the first one.
Not much wrong is being seen. I will ask for one last log to see if it shows anything.
Doubleclick on blbeta.exe.
Click on Scan.
Once the Scan is Finished, click on Next.
Click on Exit.
A new document will be produced on the desktop.
Open this document with Notepad.
I've pretty much have came to the conclusion that this isn't viruses or anything, but Word itself.
I found a BIN file entitled "Normal" and renamed it to "oldNormal", restarted Word, and it worked completely fine. My other programs, such as GIMP, started working again as well.
Then earlier this morning the same thing happened before, it just suddenly stopped working. I noticed the taskbar had frozen and I had to ctrl+alt+delete to unfreeze it, and Word (and other programs as described before) stopped responding. I tried renaming the "Normal" file once more, but this time it had no effect.
I don't know what the problem is.
EDIT: I would also like to mention that this doesn't only effect some programs, but I'm not able to drag links or even change some settings on websites such as YouTube.
I really don't think this is malware of any kind either. Short of that I'm sure there is better help out there than I can provide.
I would try a complete reinstall of word/office and if that didn't help I would start looking around .
I will list a couple good forums to check/ask around on.
Since this issue appears to be resolved … this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance.
If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.
Everyone else please begin a New Topic.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI