barebear
Topic Starter
I'm helping a friend with a Dell 3100 currently with XP Pro SP1.
He had trouble after trying to install SP2 a couple of years ago and the rig was somehow ( he couldn't explain ) brought back to SP1.
I told him that the system is security and stability compromised without the latest service pack and security updates ( let alone any MS suggested hardware component updates ). He asked me to see what I could do
I scanned the system yesterday w/ Malwarebytes and found no issues. The rig boots and operates with no discernible problem, is used in a small business, has Quickbooks and the like on it —- a lot of critical data that has to be preserved no matter what. It functions on the internet with Firefox 13 ( no noticeable issues )
I then used a boot disk and made a complete disk image to a portable hard drive.
After that I went to Windows Update and was prompted to install SP3 with the comment that this had to be done before any other updating.
I then started an install of SP3 as the store was closing and told my friend to reboot they system when he came in to open the store today.
On reboots both in Safe and normal modes he got a blue screen with the following data:
STOP 0x0000007E ( 0xC0000005, 0xF7488A3B, 0xF7A59324, 0xF7A59020 )
FLTMGR.SYS - F7408A3B Base At F7401000, DATESTAMP 480251da
Given that he uses the computer daily for business, I restored the drive image and the system is again running with no apparent trouble.
The friend does not have an install disk ( thank you for nothing Dell LOL ), so doing anything with Recovery Console would appear to not be an option ? I do have an XP SP3 install disk with which I could do a fresh install, but then a lot of important programs that ( at least to my knowledge ) can't be backed up will be lost. Quickbooks has a data backup function, but the program itself would have to be reinstalled.
I have not had the time ( and won't for 5 days or so ) to go back to this computer and run chkdsk /f from a command prompt window.
Given the above blue screen data, does anyone have an idea of what the issue(s) might be, and how to diagnose/ correct them beyond the chkdsk /f procedure?