This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

upgrading windows

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Im sorry if this is in the wrong area I really tried to find the right topic area
I have a a tower with Windows XP Home Edition SP1 that I am toying around with attempting to upgrade to a SP2
Just to have downstairs for someone with cancer that cant get up and down steps easily right now,make it easier for them to stay connected
I am really new to this b.c my reg comp was bought brand new and loaded with everything already

I downloaded SP2 and when I tried to install it I got File error [@S] CRC1Oxd404b9of:Oxac1b88e5 absolutely no clue what that is and even google hasnt got a clue
I know I have to upgrade drivers (any suggestions of a good free site?) I know I will probrably have to pay for a site and download
Also need to fix dll errors
Thanks I know its alot but Im doing it in baby steps,I can now get basic YAHOO and MSN Messenger now

Thanks
:pullhair:
Hi whisper, welcome to WhatTheTech.

A small request. Please don't use italics, makes it very hard to read. Also the light purple is hard to see. Not a big deal, just a suggestion. Use the default fonts and colors except when highlighting specific phrases and topics. :lol:

Okay, back to the topic. Why are you trying to install SP2? Instead go directly to SP3 since it includes all the updates in SP2 and will install as long as SP1 is installed.

You can download it from here:

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers

Ignore the name, it's just a downloadable .exe version of SP3 that you can install by double clicking on it or right clicking and selecting Open.

Hi whisper, welcome to WhatTheTech.

A small request. Please don't use italics, makes it very hard to read. Also the light purple is hard to see. Not a big deal, just a suggestion. Use the default fonts and colors except when highlighting specific phrases and topics. :lol:

Okay, back to the topic. Why are you trying to install SP2? Instead go directly to SP3 since it includes all the updates in SP2 and will install as long as SP1 is installed.

You can download it from here:

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers

Ignore the name, it's just a downloadable .exe version of SP3 that you can install by double clicking on it or right clicking and selecting Open.

Oh Im sorry force oh habit ( I post for a crime site)
TY for the help like I said this is pretty new to me although I have learned alot of the last couple years I get scared and dont want to do something and ruin the comp
Thanks again Im going to start that right now

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI