This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Sfc /scannow Help Needed?

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

P4 2.4 GHZ
1 gig ram
Antec 480 Watt P.S.
WXP Home Edition sp2

My original XP Home Edition was installed by Gateway in 2002 and of course since then I have upgraded thru windows updates to SP2 in Jan. 2006.

I have been experiencing startup & shutdown issues and have tried just about everything possible to narrow the problem down with no success thus far. All my windows updates are up to date except going to IE7.0.
I have no viruses, already submitted a Hijacklog, Deckard scan log, ran Combofix.exe, installed UnhookExecute.ini, installed UPHCLEAN, ran all virus & spyware apps in safe mode, removed video drivers, cleaned out with drivercleaner pro and reinstalled video drivers, etc. etc. you name it ! Sometimes windows will bootup normally and other times only in VGA mode. I have no problems booting up in safe modes. I have also cut down my running processes to only 30 in task manager. The pc is clean of dust, cpu temp is 34C, video card is cool, P.S. voltages are fine.

I need to run the sfc /scannow to see if certain files have been accidently deleted or corrupted but I only have the original XP CD Sp1.1 disc and of course the splash screen keeps asking for the XP CD disc when I attempt to run the sfc command after the first 30 seconds of the run.

I need some help with this issue and how to slipstream the existing SP2 ServicePackFiles located in C:\winnt\ServicePackFiles\i386 into the original XP SP1.1 disc and burn a copy of it so I can insert this CD in when the sfc /scannow requests a CD to repair or replace any files.

I have already tried changing the sourcepath registry strings from D:\ to C:\ in two locations attempting to stop the sfc from requesting the XP CD but it hasnt worked.

I already have an existing C:\i386 folder on the pc that was created in Sept. 2002 by Gateway containing the original portions of the XP sp 1.1 install.

The SP2 looks to be in the C:\winnt\ServicePackFiles\i386 folder, which was created in Jan. 2006 when I upgraded to sp2 I assume. That is the date on the properties tab of this i386 servicepackfile folder.

If this can be accomplished would it be better if I used the Original XP CD by inserting it in the cdrom and copying its contents to a newly named folder on the C:\ drive and then d\l from Microsoft the SP2 update and slipstream the sp2 into the newly named folder this way instead of using the existing serficepackfile location in C:\winnt\servicepackfiles\i386?

Does this program here still work? http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=223562

Other then attempting to create this new XP Disc with SP2 I have NOT uninstalled my Sound Audigy 2 creative drivers and reinstalled in case they are causing this problem.

Other then what I have already tried the only other thing I can think of is to reformat, and install the original XP SP1.1 disc and then upgrade to SP2 from windows updates and ALL the post updates ! What a chore !


Thanks for any replys!
When you state:

I have already tried changing the sourcepath registry strings from D:\ to C:\ in two locations attempting to stop the sfc from requesting the XP CD but it hasnt worked.


Don't expect that gateway fully populated the i386 Folder when they pre-installed, they probably didn't.

I already have an existing C:\i386 folder on the pc that was created in Sept. 2002 by Gateway containing the original portions of the XP sp 1.1 install.


Do you mean you have followed the full instructions contained at this post by Marc Liron, and it didn't work?
These instructions are step-by-step and quite definitive.
I've never not been successful with his protocol.
http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Best Regards

When you state:

I have already tried changing the sourcepath registry strings from D:\ to C:\ in two locations attempting to stop the sfc from requesting the XP CD but it hasnt worked.


Don't expect that gateway fully populated the i386 Folder when they pre-installed, they probably didn't.

I already have an existing C:\i386 folder on the pc that was created in Sept. 2002 by Gateway containing the original portions of the XP sp 1.1 install.


Do you mean you have followed the full instructions contained at this post by Marc Liron, and it didn't work?
These instructions are step-by-step and quite definitive.
I've never not been successful with his protocol.
http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Best Regards


That is the exact link I went by and it still would not work without asking for the original XP CD disc.

I would assume that when the user upgrades to SP2 some of the original files or data or removed from the original SP1.1 I386 folder located on the C: drive. The original C:\i386 has around 230mb in it and the C:\winnt\servicepackfiles\i386 folder has around 400mb in it.

Like I said previously I have redirected the the sourcepaths from D:\ to C:\ in two locations in the registry and the sourcepath for the servicepackfiles containing SP2 was already directed to C:\ in the registry. Unless I am simply overlooking something I have tried this several times and the sfc continues to ask for the XP CD. And yes I have rebooted each time I changed the registry sourcepaths and made sure they were still directed to C:\.

Thanks for any further replys or help.

Regards
Hi,
If you are still having problems with this, then the easiest way by far, is simply to borrow a Windows installation disc with SP2 already on it. It is quite Ok to do this for the purposes of running SFC. If you ask around one of your chums is bound to come up with a disc.

Having said that its a good idea to have sp2 slipstreamed into an installation disc and it's quick and easy to do.
n lite is a useful help here and this link will give you chapter and verse in case you are uncertain how to do it.

http://www.geekgirls.com/windowsxp_slipstream.htm

Further information available from here:

http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm

or here:

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1626
Regards
paws

Hi,
If you are still having problems with this, then the easiest way by far, is simply to borrow a Windows installation disc with SP2 already on it. It is quite Ok to do this for the purposes of running SFC. If you ask around one of your chums is bound to come up with a disc.

Having said that its a good idea to have sp2 slipstreamed into an installation disc and it's quick and easy to do.
n lite is a useful help here and this link will give you chapter and verse in case you are uncertain how to do it.

http://www.geekgirls.com/windowsxp_slipstream.htm

Further information available from here:

http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm


http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1626
Regards
paws



Thanks for the various links !

Regards, :thumbup:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI