This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Boot Problem with Vista Ultimate

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am hoping that someone can help me with a very troubling Boot-up problem that has been occurring for the last few weeks. When I start up my computer, the initial boot sequence proceeds normally up to the point at which the pale blue "Welcome" screen appears. Up until this problem started, the Desktop would load a few seconds after the 'Welcome" screen appeared now however the "Welcome" screen persists for at least 30 seconds, the Vista ring-throbber eventually appears, and then the whole screen goes completely black with the exception that my cursor shows and can be moved with the mouse. The black screen persists for anything up to several minutes until eventually the Vista ring-throbber re-appears followed by the Task bar which in turn is followed by the whole Desktop a few seconds later. On two occasions there has been a fleeting error message that appeared in the black screen indicating that " some logon failed" with something, but the screen is so transient that it is gone before I can really make a note of its exact wording. I should add that once the desktop has loaded, the computer works completely normally. It has not slowed down at all functions are as they should be. One other thing that I think may be related is the fact that I am unable to create a new user account on this computer. To be more specific, I can go through the motions of creating another user account using 'User accounts' in control panel, and when I have created the new account it does appear in the "manage accounts" dialogue box with its icon as it should. But when I restart the computer, the boot sequence is completely unchanged to that which I have described above, specifically I am never given an opportunity to log onto the new user account. And, more to the point, when I look at my folder tree in Windows explorer, under "Users" the only "Users" that appear are: Default; Public; and my Name. the user account that I have just created is not listed and naturally has no files assigned to it. I am sorry to have been so long-winded but I have been attempting to describe the problem accurately, and I do hope that someone can explain what is happening and more to the point, offer a fix. Thank you.

Hello symiggy,

One question, does the same thing happen when you boot into safe mode?


Hello Ax

Much the same thing happens, specifically:

After I boot into Safe mode there is initially a black screen; then a screen with white on black text which reads at the top of the screen "Loading Windows files"
And at the bottom of the screen: "Please wait"
This text screen persists for almost as long as the "black screen" in normal Boot mode.
Then the screen goes completely black with only the cursor showing
Then The pale blue "Welcome" screen; again another wait with the Vista-ring-throbber and then finally the desktop in safe mode.
The total Boot time is about the same as in regular mode.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI