Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

can't connect to internet

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ladious

ladious

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 05:10 PM

Hi, I am fairly ne, w and it was suggested that I post my problem on this board for wider viewing. I can't connect to the internet. something about lost IP default gateway address. My cable provider went through a lot of steps and suggested contacting the computer co and microsoft. No luck with either. I did PING and Ipconfig /all and many other things. Waiting for tech to make house call at great expense. Have win XP home and IE version 7 Ran diagnostics for winXP everythign sAYS OK EXCEPT http CONNECTIONS. trying to coonnect to aol, error-dns not available. 2 days no trying to fix this HELP! ladious

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 03:42 AM

Hi, Sorry to hear of the problem with your Internet connection. If you have run through all your settings with a tech from your ISP and also done the same with Microsoft and still havn't got it fixed then it looks as though it's bad news. :( Your best bet may be to wait until your local competent computer technician has called to advise you, as there is nothing quite like talking face to face with the customer and sitting at the actual machine and being able to physically examine or switch out component parts. However in the meantime and whilst waiting you could, copy and paste in a reply here, the results of your diagnostics, ping tests, and config /all, together with your network connections, Internet Options, and exact make and model number of your computer and modem/router................however if these have been all checked by your ISP and Microsoft and nothing found to be amiss it's unlikely we will be able to spot anything either. Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 ladious

ladious

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 03:43 PM

Thank you Paws, Diagnostic, Ping, and several other tests have shown nothing. Computer techwas able to get me connected for a minute or so and then off again. So I let him take my pc away. Said he suspects the n.etwork card and will replace it . Think I may buy another pc after this. Second repair job for this one, although not as much as before. Any suggestions? Thanks again,Ladious

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 04:10 PM

Hi, Yes maybe its best to wait and see what your tech comes up with. Here in the UK, a reasonably good laptop, with full guarantee, operating system, including tax at 17.5% and delivery to the door can be had for about GBP £275 (approx USD $550) and an equivalent desktop machine for considerably less. Its almost as though the machines are becoming disposable....... bad news for me as I fix them for a living! I hope it works out OK for you. Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate