Software
very slow internet all of the sudden
6 min read
gardenpunk
Topic Starter
hello, I am having very sloooowwww browsing experience lately. web pages a very long time to come up initially and when I am surfing. Also. things shut down/freeze up constantly. I just loaded stopzilla (hasn't helped) and run regular anti-virus software. I recently got amessage saying I have low virtual memory. I tried to run the memory test on my computer and got the message "exception in DisplayRunMap.runMap." Any help is appreciated!
Abydos
Hi Gardenpunk
What programs do you use to maintain your pc?(not security tools/programs)
Have you defragmented your HD(s) lately?
Low Virtuel memory can be because the partition your pagefile is executing from is to full. It is recommended to have at least 20% free space on your HD at any given time. Both for pagefiling and for defragmenting.
So check your HD space.
There are some other possibilities aswell, but lets clear those questions above first, and then take it from there.
Kind regards Abydos
gardenpunk
hello, Excuse my ignorance but I am not sure if I use any pc maintenance tools. What do you suggest? I will try defrag and see what happens. I am also getting a lot of "run time" errors when I am on the web if that is helpful to know. thanks a lot for your help!
gardenpunk
hi again, just finished the defrag–got a message that it couldn't complete defrag completely but here are the results if that might be of use. thanks!
.
Volume PRESARIO (C:)
Volume size = 30.63 GB
Cluster size = 4 KB
Used space = 14.19 GB
Free space = 16.45 GB
Percent free space = 53 %
Volume fragmentation
Total fragmentation = 1 %
File fragmentation = 3 %
Free space fragmentation = 0 %
File fragmentation
Total files = 84,248
Average file size = 342 KB
Total fragmented files = 4
Total excess fragments = 38
Average fragments per file = 1.00
Pagefile fragmentation
Pagefile size = 531 MB
Total fragments = 12
Folder fragmentation
Total folders = 6,378
Fragmented folders = 1
Excess folder fragments = 0
Master File Table (MFT) fragmentation
Total MFT size = 108 MB
MFT record count = 90,961
Percent MFT in use = 81 %
Total MFT fragments = 2
——————————————————————————–
Fragments File Size Files that cannot be defragmented
None
Abydos
hello, Excuse my ignorance but I am not sure if I use any pc maintenance tools. What do you suggest? I will try defrag and see what happens. I am also getting a lot of "run time" errors when I am on the web if that is helpful to know. thanks a lot for your help!
Hi again gardenpunk
Well, your defrag looks good, actually to good considering you haven't done it before. You sure you defragmented the partition where your system-files/windows-installation are?
Also, i would like to know how much physical RAM your machine have. Because I can see that your pagefile aint that big (531mb). This number is ok, if you only have 256-512mb RAM!
So in your next post, include info on how much RAM you have. (Ccleaner will have that info at the top of the program, see below)
With tools to maintain your pc I can recommend Ccleaner and Auslogics Defrag.
Auslogics Defrag is a fast defragmenter, it aint that depth-going, but fast. And doing something is better than none at all. Its my experience people don't wanna wait for windows own defragmentation tool to finish, and therefore seldom gets it done. But if you don't mind, by all means use windows own.
Auslogics Defrag
Ccleaner
With Ccleaner be sure to uncheck Yahoo.Toolbar during installation if you don't want it.
When using the cleaner, uncheck / untick cookies if you wanna keep those (e.g. saved passwords, webpage settings etc etc)
Registry (the blue cube) Scan for problems and fix all. It will ask you if you want to make a back-up, any answer here is ok, Ccleaner aint that aggresive that it will delete anything important that could cripple your system. Repeat the registry scan till it doesn't find anything.
Regarding those runtime error's, does it just say "runtime error" or does it have an number/message attached? ?This is important as it might point to a specific error. Runtime errors most commonly occurs with software application issues.
When does the runtime errors pop up? How often do you get them
when you use IE or running a specific program, like windows media-player or security programs? You can try locate the program that produces those errors by closing them one by one via the Task-manager (pressing "ctrl-alt-delete" will open the task-manager") Be sure not to end running system files, if youre in doubt which to close or not, please tell and i'll try guide you further. To ease it up abit, you can start with those you have running in the tray (down by the clock).
Okay, its a mouthful I know. But try answer to your fullest. If you need to take them step by step, just do that. Better its done in your own pace, than do it half.
Kind regards Abydos
gardenpunk
hi Abydos,
I ran the defrag and am doing the cleaner. It seems that there is lots of junk there. I think that I have 247 MB of RAM.
Just got a runtime error "this application has required the runtime application to terminate in an unusual way"
program/c:profiles/IE/IE.exe
these generally occur when using IE. OTherwise, computer does freeze up in other programs but with no runtime errors there.
Any other suggestions or thoughts?
thanks a lot!
Gardenpunk
Abydos
Hi gardenpunk
Good that you are using the Ccleaner
Once every week or so, maybe more often if you download/installs/uninstalls alot, you should run it.
This I think, can be because of either IE itself, or any addons you may have to IE. If you have addons, try disable them all. If the error still occurs. we will know it is IE. If they don't come back, its an addon. Then its just a matter of alittle footwork to single the culprit out by turning them back on one by one. Remember to run awhile with each, before turning any new one on, so the system have time to eventually produce the error.
If you don't have addons, a re-install of IE would be a solution here.
Thats an odd number. Normal figures here would be 256mb RAM. That, along with the freeze-ups may indicate faulty RAM.
I can direct you to a program that can stress-test your RAM, and that way clarify if it is the RAM that are faulty…..
The program is an ISO file, burned/installed to either a burnable media, or floppy disc. If you don't have those options available, please let me know.
Another possibility for the freeze-ups, is that you may have to many programs running all at once, especially when you don't have that much RAM. Just for running windows XP, its recommended to have at least 512MB RAM. So try limit the numbers of programs running
in the background, and stay with a single browser window open.
Kind regards Abydos
Good that you are using the Ccleaner
Once every week or so, maybe more often if you download/installs/uninstalls alot, you should run it.
Just got a runtime error "this application has required the runtime application to terminate in an unusual way"
program/c:profiles/IE/IE.exe
these generally occur when using IE.
This I think, can be because of either IE itself, or any addons you may have to IE. If you have addons, try disable them all. If the error still occurs. we will know it is IE. If they don't come back, its an addon. Then its just a matter of alittle footwork to single the culprit out by turning them back on one by one. Remember to run awhile with each, before turning any new one on, so the system have time to eventually produce the error.
If you don't have addons, a re-install of IE would be a solution here.
OTherwise, computer does freeze up in other programs but with no runtime errors there.
I think that I have 247 MB of RAM.
Thats an odd number. Normal figures here would be 256mb RAM. That, along with the freeze-ups may indicate faulty RAM.
I can direct you to a program that can stress-test your RAM, and that way clarify if it is the RAM that are faulty…..
The program is an ISO file, burned/installed to either a burnable media, or floppy disc. If you don't have those options available, please let me know.
Another possibility for the freeze-ups, is that you may have to many programs running all at once, especially when you don't have that much RAM. Just for running windows XP, its recommended to have at least 512MB RAM. So try limit the numbers of programs running
in the background, and stay with a single browser window open.
Kind regards Abydos
gardenpunk
I have programs that can burn cds–I think that is what you mean? so that RAM program should be fine to try. Thanks!
Abydos
Hi gardenpunk
The program i want you to try, is called Memtest86.
Now instead that I write a lengthy detailed explanation, i would rather have you take a look at this site, and read it through. Its an step-by-step guide how to use this program. If youre not certain that youre up to it, then don't. It can be abit overwhelming the first time (was for me anyways when i tried this the first time). There are links on the guide-page to where you can download the ISO-file.
Be sure you have the right one. If in doubt, ask!
Guide+Links
Kind regards Abydos
The program i want you to try, is called Memtest86.
Now instead that I write a lengthy detailed explanation, i would rather have you take a look at this site, and read it through. Its an step-by-step guide how to use this program. If youre not certain that youre up to it, then don't. It can be abit overwhelming the first time (was for me anyways when i tried this the first time). There are links on the guide-page to where you can download the ISO-file.
Be sure you have the right one. If in doubt, ask!
Guide+Links
Kind regards Abydos
gardenpunk
I am going to try that program tomorrow when I am fresh and ready to go!. If I could trouble you with one more question…
can you clarify exactly what an" add on "is and are they good, evil, or it depends? thanks so much for your help and patience! My system seems a bit sharper now and I have learned a lot from our exchange.
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI