Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Very Slow Surfing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 krbybng

krbybng

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:45 PM

Hello: Not sure what has happened, but my internet surfing has been deathfully slow the past few months on this particular computer (the other 2 work fine). Any suggestions on what to look for? I am running Windows 7, Windows XP service pack 3. Thanks...

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:45 AM

Are you running Windows 7, OR Windows XP? Run a couple of checks. Go to speedtest.net, and check your internet speed - let us know what you're getting. Open Task Manager (Ctrl-Shift-Esc), click the performance tab, and see where your CPU and memory usage is. See if it is anything other than mostly idle, or if a process is running that is taking up a lot of CPU or memory resources.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

#3 krbybng

krbybng

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:53 PM

Sorry...IE 7 and Windows XP. Anyway, download 3.5Mbps and upload 0.87Mbps. CPU is 1-5% and PM is 1.047total, 41800 avail, and 146500cache. PF Usage is 1.04. Current IE usage is 550,000 (it is always high). Thanks.

#4 krbybng

krbybng

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:14 PM

Speed tonight is 7.11Mbps download, 0.96Mbps upload. Memusage for IE is 202,000.

#5 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:00 PM

Hi. Thank you for the information. Internet Explorer is using far too much memory. Your system has only 1 GB of RAM. You are using most of that. One wonders if you have just IE open, or if you have a bunch of programs open. I suspect, you just have far too much stuff running on your computer including toolbars, and add-ons in internet explorer. How many anti-virus programs do you have running? I would suggest upgrading to IE 8, then resetting internet explorer to disable add-ons and other toolbars that have taken over your browser. Use "windows update" to upgrade to IE 8, then reset internet explorer by opening internet options, clicking the advanced tab and using the "Reset" button. Choose the option to delete personal settings also. This will restore IE back to a more stripped down state where many of the add-ons and toolbars are disabled. You should notice better reliability and better performance in Internet Explorer after that. You should also notice that it takes less memory. After that I would identify how many programs are running on your computer (such as what is sitting in the system notification area near the clock in the lower right hand corner of your screen) then work on removing or disabling those programs. Your system only has 1GB of RAM. That doesn't leave you much breathing room for a bunch of un-necessary stuff running.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

#6 jackmayfield

jackmayfield

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:54 PM

You can increase the browsing speed by using the software called ccleaner. It clears all the history and database cache. Making the browser new and perform quickly to the url given.

#7 krbybng

krbybng

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:36 PM

Thanks Apple and Jack...I will try both recommendations.