This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

RpcSs won't start

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I turn my computer on yesterday to find a whole host of problems. I think I tracked the source back to the Remote Procedure Call service not starting. When I try to start it I get the error "Can not start RPC on local machine" I tried importing a working reg key from another computer but the problem remains. I also tried the system restore but get an error "System restore is not able to protect your computer" I also get an error on start up "RAID Service US english resources has encountered a problem…" which is connected to this file "Nvraidservice.exe" Pretty sure the above raid thing is a symptom and not the cause. Any suggestions?
Hi Psilocybes

Google is your friend…I say that because I found the solutions to your problems in under 10 minutes. :)

I turn my computer on yesterday to find a whole host of problems. I think I tracked the source back to the Remote Procedure Call service not starting.
When I try to start it I get the error "Can not start RPC on local machine"

I tried importing a working reg key from another computer but the problem remains.
I also tried the system restore but get an error "System restore is not able to protect your computer"


Hmm, importing regkeys from other pc's are generally not a good idea, unless you know what you are dealing with.
More often than not, you will only cause more troubles for yourself.

First we will try and see if we can restart the service manually. To do this go to :

1: Control panel, either through start menu, or "my computer"
2: Find Administration (usually the first icon in the top left corner)
3: Click on services
4: Find Remote Procedure call
5: Right click it, and find properties
6: Under the tab generel, there should be two possibilities to start it.


If this doesn't work, report back, and we'll try something else.

I also get an error on start up "RAID Service US english resources has encountered a problem…" which is connected to this file "Nvraidservice.exe"
Pretty sure the above raid thing is a symptom and not the cause.

Any suggestions?


Read this first

If you want to disable it, go to start –>Run–> type : Msconfig
Find the tab Start in Msconfig, then find Raid Service and remove the check/tick.
Click ok. Your pc will prompt you to restart, after restart you will see a box with info.
Just check/tick "don't show this message again" and click ok.

Try this things first, and tell me after how it went.

Kind regards Abydos :)
heh yea i know of google and ive read each post on the first page regarding a lot of my symptoms. I can't open properties in the Services because of the problem i'm having (copy/paste and click and drag are also disabled as of yesterday). RPC is currently set to Auto, when I right click and hit start I get the error listed above. I've also disabled everything in msconfig with no results.

I've also disabled everything in msconfig with no results.


What?? You should only disable the Nvidia Raid Service! The service is used to set up HDD raid, which is perfectly done from the Bios if need be. And is therefore harmless to disable. Hope you enabled all again in msconfig.


I can't open properties in the Services because of the problem i'm having (copy/paste and click and drag are also disabled as of yesterday).
RPC is currently set to Auto, when I right click and hit start I get the error listed above.


If you can't open services, how did you see that it was set to auto? Keyboard commands?

Anyways, the little "trick" you did with importing regkeys may have damaged more than good is.
But lets try one more thing, and then you have to try the above again.

Grab your windows CD and be ready to pop it in.

Now go to the start menu –>run –> type: SFC /Scannow (Notice the space between C and / )

It may take some time, let it run through and please refrain from starting any programs or the like. It won't produce a log, so its kinda hard to tell if its an success or not, till you have tried the above once again.

This command will scan your PC for damaged / missing files and try to replace such.

Kind regards Abydos

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI