Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Problem connecting to the internet.

Win XP

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 scudo

scudo

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 12:45 PM

I gave this PC away to a guy for his business it is old and uses win xp, I had it working here with wi-fi (stick)

His son set it up for him and apparently configured as below, can anyone help.

.need your help ....ma boy set that computer up but he’s got it wired for the internet instead off WiFi .....but every time we try and go online it comes up with this message in the picture .

34089981_1863119543706459_8460960194434695168_n.jpg

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Administrator

• MRU Teachers
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 11:13 PM

The warning page you have posted is one that Firefox produces when you try to connect insecurely to a https (as opposed to a http) website ... https://support.mozi...not-secure-mean... it is not really anything to do with how the connection is wired.

But in any case, XP is old and no longer supported by Microsoft, and really should not be used to connect to the internet.

Because it is no longer supported, it cannot be updated to patch any security vulnerabilities, and therefore is open to being exploited, no matter what Anti-Virus protection you might have installed.

Edited by Gary R, 01 June 2018 - 11:15 PM.

#3 scudo

scudo

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 03:15 PM

I did make the guy aware of the above at the time, apparently he only wants it to run some business spreadsheets for his new start up business. I suspect by the end of the year he will get decent equipment as funds permit.

#4 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Administrator

• MRU Teachers
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 03:37 PM

Going online with an XP machine for even a short time would be to invite infection, and I definitely would not recommend that anyone does so if they're running any kind of commercial activity on that XP machine.

As a business user you're responsible not just for the security of your own data, but for the data of your customers as well.  So any savings in computer equipment costs need to be set against the possible legal costs he might accrue if their data is compromised because he hasn't made adequate provision to safeguard it.

#5 scudo

scudo

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 04:29 PM

Gary I dont disagree with you and he is aware. The PC is currently at his home and yes he is trying to connect but apparently the PC will be moved to his workshop that will not have internet, so he tells me.

Thanks though for your concerns.

Edited by scudo, 02 June 2018 - 04:29 PM.