Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Port blocked

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 openacres

openacres

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:born 1944,<br />ex-merchant seaman.

Posted 16 January 2008 - 03:40 AM

Please treat me gently on this and in words of one syllable…….. I’m of the older generation, a relative computer newbie, but enthusiastic - an enthusiasm that tends to run away sometimes! I’ve downloaded a programme called ‘BitComet’, described to me as a file-sharing programme, figuring that it would be another useful way for a friend of similar description and I to swap files, etc., expanding at the same time our general experience of all things computer. So far so good, I’ve found a file but when I come to run BitComet, there’s a little amber ‘light’ in the bottom right hand corner and a message that says “Blocked: 86.140.123.232”. I went on the BitComet Help desk (surely a misnomer!), which basically said listening port blocked. Adjust your routers settings”…….fine……how?….to what? And how do I find these settings in the first place? (For the record, if it’s important, the router is a Belkin Wireless G Plus MIMO, bought because the salesman said so and which I just plugged in and worked). SO how do I get BitComet to work? But another thing worries m. When I did a search on this site for ‘BitComet’, up came 17 Pages of topics, mostly dealing with viruses, etc., Have I walked into a minefield here? I’ll appreciate any advice, especially that stuff I can understand! Many thanks.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 shelf life

shelf life

SuperMember

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 05:34 AM

hi,

Have I walked into a minefield here?

yes its possible. there is alot of malware thats is distributed on p2p networks. unsuspecting users can pick up all kinds of malware that will cause all kinds of problems.
i have a page about about p2p. it is in no way a "how to" guide. just information for you to think about. it might change your mind.
if you wish to continue we can try to get the port fowarding worked out.

http://www.virusvaul...ile_sharing.htm
How Can I Reduce My Risk?

#3 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 05:40 AM

EDIT, sorry shelf life, I really will try to type a bit quicker!

Hi openacres
Yes.
File sharing via P2P is an acknowledged route for the transmission of malicious or undesirable elements.
The terms of use for WTT do not permit the discussion of P2P other than for its removal.
Sorry I canot be of more help on this, but if you have any other questions, please fire away and we will do our best to help
Regards
paws

Edited by paws, 16 January 2008 - 05:42 AM.

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#4 openacres

openacres

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:born 1944,<br />ex-merchant seaman.

Posted 16 January 2008 - 02:18 PM

Hi. Gentlemen,

I read between the lines of your reply that this BitComet programme is less than welcome in polite company, let alone in my computer! So no more questions in that direction!

However, is the problem of a blocked port one that I should know about in a wider context? Does it affect other programmes, or inhibit other applications? For instance, I need to set up a home network involving my new Christmas laptop and my current desktop set-up. I was hoping to use this to transfer a copy of my (legally-purchased) Microsoft Office suite from desktop to laptop. Why, you ask, do I not just the original installation disk? Because, as my wife continually reminds me, I lost them during our recent house move. Let’s draw a veil over subsequent conversations - not pretty.

Or is this still still frowned on or not allowed?

#5 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 05:25 PM

Hi openacres, you sure come up with all the tough ones! You can't transfer applications like Microsoft Office from one machine to another, You need to find the installation disk and product license key if you need to reinstall it on a different machine and check also to make sure you are entitled to do this under the licence agreement ( academic really if you cant find the disc! ) You can transfer (over your network or any way you like), the documents or files created by Microsoft Office, for example Word documents or Excel spreadsheets, but not the actual appilcations themselves ie Word, Excel etc . Hope this makes sense. To allow your network access you should configure your 2 way software firewall with the IP addresses or range concerned. Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#6 kazzoo

kazzoo

Authentic Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 07:32 PM

Greetings openacres

Just to give you a insight to this "port" business. There are 65535 ports in which communication (TCP/IP protocols) can flow in and out of a computer. Here you thought there was only that one cable!

With that many ports, lucky there is some agreements regulated by the the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) what port should do what.
Who the heck is ICAN

The port numbers are divided into three ranges: the Well Known Ports, the Registered Ports, and the Dynamic and/or Private Ports. For the most part Well known ports are the ones most folks are interested in for basic communications.

The Well Known Ports are those from 0 through 1023. Well known ports? I like a good port with my cigar!

Sure webbrowsing uses port 80, FTP port 21, Telnet port 23, Mail port 25 . POP3 port 110 for example.

Others in this range are used by specific companies or individuals. Specifically for their brand of equiptment or application. Your webcamera, IMchat, voiceoverip and many others sends information across a network using specific ports.

Computers are designed to do something when traffic wants to connect to a specific port. Should you block a port? Maybe. It depends on what you want to let in, let out.

So if you block port 80, you cant browse the internet with a browser! Block port 25 you will not get your Email. But how do you block a port? How do you open a port? With a corkscrew and a litte effort?

This is the job of the Firewall. I would go into that but we have had to much port for one evening....

Regards

Kaz
Badgers? I dont need no stinking Badgers!

#7 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 08:10 PM

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image