This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Odd Port Problem

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Just a couple days ago my MSN Messenger stopped working and was giving me the error that my port was blocked. I first thought maybe my router or ISP had screwed something up but I tried it again at university and it still does the same thing. I tried testing my ports on GRC and they all come back as stealth. Is there something that could have gone wrong with my computer setting somewhere or something like that? Any ideas would be appreciated. Edit: My AVG won't let me update and any program that relies on sending information from my computer don't work Is there some way to reformat but keep some wanted programs? I use a couple programs in university that I would have to repurchase if not.
Hi Murray11,

Is there some way to reformat but keep some wanted programs? I use a couple programs in university that I would have to repurchase if not.

That is a pretty drastic action to take.

What backup program have you got on this system that is giving you trouble?

Have you tried System Restore at all?

  • Start
  • All Programs
  • Accessories
  • System tools
  • System Restore
I would suspect you may have Malware on your computer. I notice you had help in the HJT forum in 2007 so you are au fait with how to post a log in the correct forum.

Please take a look at this link and proceed if you do post a log and do not have a reply within 5 days.

I cannot help you regarding your port questions, but others maybe able to if they come by.

kind regards,
Odd, I downloaded and ran ccleaner. Restarted my computer and now MSN works again. I had tried restarting a couple times before so maybe there was something screwy in the registry, idk. My ports still come back as fully stealth which surprises me but it seems to be working fine now.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI