Sorry if this forum isn't for this sort of thing, please delete it if it isn't.
I desperately need a new PC but i have no idea about hardware.
I could really do with some help on what i should be on the look out for.
I basically need it for downloading videos and music(without it sounding like it's going to explode) and i also need it for burning dvds.
I was told by someone on another board
Get your self one with a nice bit of RAM, say 1GB, above average HD I'd say 120GB or 160GB.There's a new quad core processor out, no idea on price though, get one with at least 2.80GHZ processor (pentium 4). If your burning DVD's get one with a built in DVD+/-RW Rewriter that should have you sorted for burning DVD and CD's no problem.
And he gave me this link to one that should be ideal.
* AMD Athlon X2 Processor 4000+
* 2.1GHz, 2000MHz FSB, 1MB Cache
* Genuine Windows Vista ® Home Premium
* 1GB Memory
* 160GB Hard Drive
* Dual Layer DVD Rewriter
* NVIDIA GeForce 6100 Integrated Graphics
* 6 USB connections
* 15 in 1 Media Card Reader
* 19" Widescreen Monitor
On the prduct info though it says there's no sound card. This is probably a stupid question but i thought if you didn't have a sound card you had no sound at all but i emailed the shop and they told me
"As the item comes with external speakers, you will be able to play sound on this PC. "
At the bottom of the web page it has
Modem Type NO
Modem NO
No of USB connections 6
No of PCI Slots 3
No. of Firewire Connections 0 Soundcard included NO
Speakers Included NO
TV Tuner Included NO
Maybe another stupid question but would i need to install a modem?
I would say most motherboards come with "on-board" sound. That is, the audio is integrated on the motherboard, there is no card. The necessary connections are located in the "rear I/O panel" area of the case. Same with the NIC (network interface card), which is now integrated on the motherboard and called the LAN port, and, as in your example above, integrated graphics too. Most on-board sound is of adequate sound quality for most people. Some motherboards catering to the home theater PC crowd may support better quality sound.
I have never seen a motherboard with integrated graphics that did not also have integrated sound. And if you follow the full product information link, you will see where it says,
"TV Tuner Included NO Has a TV tuner built in to the system"
I generally recommend 2Gb of RAM with a multi-core CPU, and/or with Windows Vista.
You stated your basic intent with this machine is to download music and videos. To start, that raises all kinds of red flags and the hairs on my neck, so I would be remiss if I did not take this opportunity to comment on downloading music and videos. There are many legal avenues and sources to legally buy music and videos. I encourage you to visit only those sites. Visiting sites that accommodates copying protected content raises two serious concerns.
1. Malware - Badguys love P2P (peer to peer) file sharing sites because they can use them to spread their wares (viruses, Trojans, worms, rootkits, keyloggers and other spyware).
2. Downloading copyrighted music and videos without the required compensation is illegal. Getting caught can mean jail time and hefty fines.
Be forewarned that eMachines are well known for their problems. I am not a fan of Dell or HP as well but either would have a similar system for not too much more less.
I see the prices on Dell Inspiron desktops starts at 249 pounds and the HP Pavilions are starting at 328. Either would be a better choice than an eMachine.
Problems with eMachines consist of Inefficient power supplies, cheap cases with buttons that break, cramped quarters inside the case and inferior quality of Motherboards. Of course these are IMO.
DR
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI