This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Help! I can't install AVG Free!

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have my dad's old notebook, and it's pretty stripped down, as it was his business computer and he took everything off! Anyway, I am trying to install AVG Free 7.5 and it will download the setup, but it fails to install. Within a minute, I get a notice that it failed installation, and it says this:

Local machine: installation failed
Installation:
Error: Action failed for registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\AVG.Kernel: creating registry key….
Access is denied. (5)


When I'm installing, it shows my dad's name, business name and a lic. number. So apparently he had purchased an AVG AV something, sometime (I believe I confirmed that, the last time I tried this)! My guess is there is something about that fact that is preventing a re-install. Btw, there is nothing in the Add/Remove Programs.

HELP!!! I'm stuck!
Hi Haypor,

Have you got Administator rights on this old Notebook?

Are there any other Antivirus software programs in Add and Remove. More than one conflict, although I realise you have not yet been able to install AVG Free 7.5.

Have a look at this program, suggest you download and see what is running. Be careful not to remove anything until you are very sure. An old installation of AVG could be hanging around there.

Go to C:\Drive>Program files>Grisoft>and see if there is an installation of AVG there. If so make sure you have downloaded AVG to your desktop. Disconnect from the internet, then delete the installation in the Grisoft Folder. Go to start>all programs>accessories>systemtools> and click on diskcleanup>let it run then re boot.

Then try another install of AVG 7.5 that you saved on your desktop off the internet.

Let us know how you go and don't hesitate to get back with more questions if need be.

kind regards,
Hi, and thanks for such a fast reply! Yes, I have administrator rights. I downloaded the CleanUp utility and it didn't find any AVG or Grisoft programs. I double checked the Add/Remove Programs and there is nothing there either. There is not a Grisoft folder in Program Files. I retried installation and same thing. You know, right before I got the installation error message, it was checking/doing something in the registry. It was at the VERY beginning of installation. *sigh*
Hi Haypor,

I would suggest you post a HJT log following this link

The forum is very busy and only accredited experts can read your log so please be patient.

I notice you posted a log in March 2007 so would be completely familiar with how and where to post your log. I also read the long informative post that Doug helped you with way back in May 2007. He may come by with other advice for you here, but in the meantime I would suggest you go ahead and post your HJT log.

Sorry I cannot help you further, as it has a registry content it is better for the volunteer experts to help you now.

kind regards,

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI