This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Grisoft AVG: uninstall/reinstall glitch

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi. I read the rules and will do my best to provide the appropriate info. I run Windows XP Home on a Dell Inspiron B130 notebook with 1G ram. I do have administrator privileges. I installed AVG free edition a while back, and it ran fine. I wanted to try another antivirus program, so I uninstalled AVG, or so I thought. I probably shouldn't have uninstalled it via the add/remove programs feature in control panel, but that's what I did. Later, after uninstalling the other antivirus product, I downloaded the latest version of AVG. On trying to install it, I got this error result: "Local machine: installation failed Installation: Error: Action failed for registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\AVG7Uninstall\Features: creating registry key…. Access is denied. (5)" I tried to install in safe mode, but got the same result. Then I picked "repair/rebuild" from the options menu of the AVG installation program, rather than the "install," but got the same result. Finally, I tried the "uninstall" option, with the same result. The Grisoft folder in Program files is no longer there. I can't get help from Grisoft because they only help registered users; I was one previously, but no longer have the registration number since AVG has been (mostly?) deleted. Help would be appreciated. Thanks a lot. Chris
Hi,
Sorry to hear of the problems with your anti-virus programmes.

It looks like when you tried the uninstall, a Registry entry was left with incorrect permissions set.

If you go to the following site, you will find full instructions on how to remedy the situation.

http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php?2,84704,84716

When you come to setting up your final choice of anti-virus programme, please make sure that you only have one anti-virus programme installed at the same time, otherwise they could conflict with each other and cause undesirable results.

However there is usually no problem with running a "standalone" scanner, such as "Stinger" or an online scanner such as Panda or Trend Micro Housecall whilst your regular anti-virus programme is installed.
Regards
paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI