This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
What the Tech Community

Hi folks... really glad to be here!

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

I signed up for malware removal training back several months ago, and immediately got infected! How's that for dumb luck? Then, once I got functional again (after reinstalling WinXP three times in two months), I couldn't find my notes to see where I had signed up!!! I think I had made electronic notes, which went to the great bit-bucket in the sky. Then, yesterday evening, while searching emails for another item to follow up on, I stumbled across the 'Welcome to tomcoyote.org' msg. And of course, tomcoyote.org is no more??? I couldn't even 'ping' or get a redirect - nothing! Remembering my account at danniweb, I posted to see what anyone there might know. Fortunately, bdubya and crunchie replied that this website had changed servers, and crunchie provided a link to the new address! So, after all that, I am really glad I found my way back! Of course, I am in the midst of cleaning a friend's system… I jumped the gun (because of time constraints) and used HJT to fix what I think was Vundo. Created a HUGE mess. Cabling that drive into my desktop system to fix boot.ini (where I tried to do a repair install… duh!) Anyhow, this has all been a HUGE lesson for me! Unfortunately, my notebook system seems to be slowing to a crawl. i'm sure I got some bugzz in it (again!) during all this. Once I get my friend's system cleaned up and back to her (must happen today!), I can catch up on some sleep (it's been days) and start in scanning & cleaning my own systems. Why is it the plumber's pipes leak and the mechanic's car runs like carp**? (grin) Again, I am ~really~ glad to have found my way back here, and I am ANXIOUS to start learning the CORRECT way of addressing malware removal. And, I look forward to 'meeting' and getting to know everyone here. I thank you all so much, in advance, for all the help I know I'm going to need! (smile) See you all back here soon! –Tom (aka tb01, ~whirled-peas~) PS - I'm new to these message boards and how they operate, so please be patient with me…
Hi all - I got a mess on my hands. I hosed a friend's computer and now I'm not sure where to go for help fixing it. And, I've run WAY out of time. There's custom software installed, so a format/reinstall isn't an option. She's almost two weeks behind in submitting reports to corporate office, and now I'm afraid I'll wind up costing her the employment she depends on to survive. I swear, I was trying to help - and now it's all a mess… Started out as a malware infection - has now (thanks to me) turned into a System Files corruption issue (I tried repair install - doh!!!). I'm not even sure where to post for help! Malware or WinXP? System is Gateway (Aug '06) XP Pro, SP2. Her system drive is currently mounted in MY system - XP Home, SP3 on a freshly formatted spare drive. I've scanned with everything I know, and find nothing. Someone PLEASE point me in the right direction! I gotta get this back to her tomorrow morning or I'm afraid she'll lose her job. I am SOOOOoo very sorry to come in w/a crisis like this, but I've never had this kind of situation arise before! And that custom software really makes it difficult. I have LOTS of detailed info, if needed. I am here to learn how to fix problems, and now I've created a HUGE one. Surely, this will (someday) have a positive outcome, but right now I've been pulling my hair out for so long, I'm all confused about things I -know- that I know! And lack of sleep hasn't helped a bit. THANKS IN ADVANCE for anyone pointing me in -and- direction! I'm glad there's no tall buildings around here! (grin) –Tom
Hi ~Whirled-Peas~

Here are two links that I suggest you could read and follow to have your friends computer up and running normally again.

http://forums.whatthetech.com/self_Help_t58958.html

http://forums.whatthetech.com/Welcome_New_…ers_t34502.html

Please understand the forums are very busy and you may have to wait for an accredited expert to attend to the log you eventually post. You most likely know all the volunteers on here give of their time in between their other jobs and family commitments.

Please do not answer your own log in the HJT forum as the experts look for logs without answers to them in turn as they are posted.

kind regards,
Thank you tallin! I will read follow those links just as soon as I get off a phone call I just dropped/have to return. BLESS you for taking the time to reply! I have been pulling my hair out for hours on end now, worrying my friend might lose her job over my blunder! I'd die if that happened! Thank you, thank you so very, very much! I will read thoroughly before I touch a key on that system… and thanks also for the heads-up on not replying to my own post for help! I learned that one a few days ago with this same issue on another board. Thanks again! Really! Much appreciated! –Tom
:thumbup: Good work. Please post back into this forum if you need other help. Let us know how you get on in the Malware Forum as we like to know when your computer is up and running freely again. kind regards,
Hi folks - update. What an incredible difference a bit of sleep makes! My friend called corporate this morning and said what's happening - she's not being fired! [at least not today…] I was looking at boot.ini editing directions in MS KB article (trying to fix XP to be able to boot again), and wound up finding a 'protection application' on the 2nd partition called 'PC Angel' which looks like something I can possibly restore with. I'm researching this to try to restore the boot functionality. Maybe, I'll even be able to get 'restored' prior to virus (which wiped out all XP restore points…). Thanks to all!!! –Tom

and thanks also for the heads-up on not replying to my own post for help! I learned that one a few days ago with this same issue on another board.


Do you have a topic open regarding this issue at another site? If so please let them know you posted here.

Cheers.