This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Sluggish Performance

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I've recently had a new PSU installed and since then had my computer perform sporadically slower than it did previously.

For example, when windows first loads if I move my mouse the mouse lags. This same preoblem happens if I open an application or just intermittenty whilst using a program. If I play audio or video it will occasionally skip.

I've alreday had the problem looked at by the hardware guys here: http://forums.whatthetech.com/Strange_Slug…098#entry422098 and they concluded that my system is running at the correct temperature etc.

I've had it confirmed that there is no malware here: http://forums.whatthetech.com/Sluggish_Per…985#entry427985 so I am running out of avenues.

I am running Windows XP Home Edition on an Aries Pc System, AND Athlon 64 Processor 2.4GHz with 1GB of RAM.

Any help would be hugely appreciated as I am getting desperate now.
Hi Wandman, This looks tricky…. 1 I suppose you have tried the obvious things? (like changing the mouse for a known good working one?) (running Chkdsk /r) (running sfc /scannow) (using a System Restore Point, created just before the time the problem started) (removed, (disconnected) all USB devices, flash drives etc. (removed any other wires from your machine, apart from mouse, keyboard, power, and VDU) (removed and replaced the mouse, keyboard power and VDU wires (MKPV) 2 Try starting your machine in safe mode (disconnect from the internet first) and with only MKPV connected give your machine a good test. 3 If the problems are resolved then generally it's likely to be a configuration driver type issue, but at least it will indicate the direction for further work. 4 It it's still bad in safe mode then there are some steps we can recommend so post back and let us know how things are going. Regards paws
I personally think this thread should be closed, and instead, press on with the hardware thread in the first link Wandman included. It causes confusion for all to post the same issue in multiple forums. I appreciate you included links to your other posts, Wandman - proof you were not trying to sneak one in there, but proper forum etiquette generally frowns on "shotgun posting", intentional or not.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI