Hardware
Strange Sluggishness
10 min read
wandman
Topic Starter
I recently had to replace the power supply to my PC as I couldn't switch the thing on.
For some reason though now it doesn't seem to be running as well as it used to. Whenever it is doing something 'process heavy' the mouse slows down, any music playing in winamp skips and jumps and I cannot play video smoothly anymore.
I've done multiple scans for spyware, viruses etc, updated the BIOS and updated the driver for my graphics card. I don't klnow what else to do.
I am running Windows XP Home Edition on an Aries Pc System, AND Athlon 64 Processor 2.4GHz with 1GB of RAM.
Any help would be appreciated!
Digerati
Well, you do describe classic malware infestation symptoms so if you are sure your system is clean, we can look at other options. If you still have doubts, here's a link to my canned text on Cleaning Out Malware that may be of some use.
You might want to look in Task Manager, or use Process Explorer to see what is running on your system. If there is something you don't recognize and can't determine by punching the filename into Google, post the file name back here.
Look in Device Manager for any errors.
Note that replacing the PSU would have nothing to do with this, assuming your replaced it with a supply with enough wattage/current for your hardware, and you did not knock something loose while in there, such as fan connector. If the system is overheating, it it may be toggling down to protect itself. I would keep an eye on your temperatures, particularly, the CPU temps. Your motherboard utilities disk should have a monitoring program (check for a more recent version on your maker's website). If none, I recommend CoreTemp for newer Intel and AMD64 CPUs. Speedfan is a great and popular alternative, or you can try Motherboard Monitor. Unfortunately, I have found that the latter two programs often have problems properly identifying and labeling the sensor they are reading. So I use Everest to verify the temperatures, then modify Speedfan or Motherboard Monitor to edit the label. In Everest, look under Computer > Sensor, then wait a couple seconds for the readings to appear. Unfortunately, Everest does not minimize to the system tray to show real-time temperatures full time, otherwise, you could use Everest instead of the others.
You might want to look in Task Manager, or use Process Explorer to see what is running on your system. If there is something you don't recognize and can't determine by punching the filename into Google, post the file name back here.
Look in Device Manager for any errors.
Note that replacing the PSU would have nothing to do with this, assuming your replaced it with a supply with enough wattage/current for your hardware, and you did not knock something loose while in there, such as fan connector. If the system is overheating, it it may be toggling down to protect itself. I would keep an eye on your temperatures, particularly, the CPU temps. Your motherboard utilities disk should have a monitoring program (check for a more recent version on your maker's website). If none, I recommend CoreTemp for newer Intel and AMD64 CPUs. Speedfan is a great and popular alternative, or you can try Motherboard Monitor. Unfortunately, I have found that the latter two programs often have problems properly identifying and labeling the sensor they are reading. So I use Everest to verify the temperatures, then modify Speedfan or Motherboard Monitor to edit the label. In Everest, look under Computer > Sensor, then wait a couple seconds for the readings to appear. Unfortunately, Everest does not minimize to the system tray to show real-time temperatures full time, otherwise, you could use Everest instead of the others.
wandman
Thanks Digerati,
I followed all the steps on your Cleaning out Malware text just to be sure and found no problems.
I've looked through the task manager and I think that all seems right there.
I feel a bit out of my depth regarding the overheating issue. The problem does occur from the moment I switch my computer on, I feel the mouse dragging as windows starts up, even if the computer has been off all night (in a room that certainly isn't hot). I've tried Speedfan but I don't really fully understand what I am looking for.
Could my motherboard be damaged? Could something in the BIOS be causing this? I'm still stuck!
I followed all the steps on your Cleaning out Malware text just to be sure and found no problems.
I've looked through the task manager and I think that all seems right there.
I feel a bit out of my depth regarding the overheating issue. The problem does occur from the moment I switch my computer on, I feel the mouse dragging as windows starts up, even if the computer has been off all night (in a room that certainly isn't hot). I've tried Speedfan but I don't really fully understand what I am looking for.
Could my motherboard be damaged? Could something in the BIOS be causing this? I'm still stuck!
Digerati
From the moment you turn it on would most likely eliminate heat as an issue - although CPUs can heat up quickly if the fan is not turning properly - you can (should) look and see if that is the case. And while in there, look to make sure you don't have a thick blanket of heat trapping dust all over everything. You said in your opening post, however, that the problem occurred, "Whenever it is doing something 'process heavy' the mouse slows down". Are you now saying it happens before just doing normal Windows tasks?I feel a bit out of my depth regarding the overheating issue. The problem does occur from the moment I switch my computer on,
Yeah, I prefer Motherboard Monitor over Speedfan for ease of use, but in any event, Everest does not require any setup to simply check your temps.
Yes, your motherboard could be damaged, but typically, the symptoms there would be no boots, or sudden freezes and/or unexpected reboots/shutdowns. You said you had to replace your PSU because it would not turn on - what preceded that? Did you take a power hit? Did the problem start immediately after you installed the new PSU?
1Gb of RAM should be fine, and is the sweet spot for single core processors. How much free disk space do you have?
wandman
Thanks again Digerati, I really appreciate your help!
I've opened it up again and had a look inside. The fan is turning properly and there wasn't really much dust on anything.
Yes the problem happens just doing normal windows tasks (like a whilst I've been writing this post for example). It isn't constant, just sporadic and particuarly bad when playing music or video.
Regarding the need to replace the PSU. I am not sure exactly what caused it, it just didn't switch on one morning. I had an engineer come out to sort it out but to be honest I think he was a cowboy as when he left my computer didn't boot up properly and I could hear a loud 'electrical' buzzing noise on my loudspeakers. This noise could be heard even if the computer was off and the loudspeakers not attached to the computer, it only stopped when I physically unplugged my computer.
So I got him back suspecting that the power supply was faulty. He put in a test one he had to see if the buzzing stopped which it did then ordered another power supply for me. He spent a lot of time in BIOS when he finally returned with the new power supply as he told me that the motherboard was reset to its factory settings and these factory defaults were not even able to boot the computer up.
If it makes any difference he replaced a Suntek AM608B1-300WS with a Winpower ATX-400.
I have two hard drives: one with 185Gb and 45Gb free. This is the one that Windows and all my programs are stored on as well as some data. I also have a 300Gb drive with 30Gb remaining. This one has only data files on it.
Doug
Hi wandman
Just to give us a basic view of your temperature and voltage situation, please download and Run Everest 2.20
Get Everest 2.20 here
Run Everest.
Browse to - Computer - Sensor
Once the display window fills with your readings, make a Quick Report
Reports - Quick Report Sensors - Select HTML
Name and save this Quick Report.
Upload it as an "attached file" in your next reply so that our Techs can have a look.
__________________-
The problem behavior that you are describing with lagging of the cursor and problems when playing audeo/video, "could" be caused by an excess of "background applications and processes"
Please download and run CodeStuff Starters
CodeStuff Starters
Run CodeStuff Starters
The "StartUps"(tab) will probably be selected by Default. If not Select - StartUps(tab)
Go To:
File - Save as HTML
Name the file and save it.
Upload the file as an "attached file" in your next reply, so that our Techs can have a look.
Best Regards
Just to give us a basic view of your temperature and voltage situation, please download and Run Everest 2.20
Get Everest 2.20 here
Run Everest.
Browse to - Computer - Sensor
Once the display window fills with your readings, make a Quick Report
Reports - Quick Report Sensors - Select HTML
Name and save this Quick Report.
Upload it as an "attached file" in your next reply so that our Techs can have a look.
__________________-
The problem behavior that you are describing with lagging of the cursor and problems when playing audeo/video, "could" be caused by an excess of "background applications and processes"
Please download and run CodeStuff Starters
CodeStuff Starters
Run CodeStuff Starters
The "StartUps"(tab) will probably be selected by Default. If not Select - StartUps(tab)
Go To:
File - Save as HTML
Name the file and save it.
Upload the file as an "attached file" in your next reply, so that our Techs can have a look.
Best Regards
wandman
Hi Doug,
Thanks for offering to help.
I've attached both an everest report and a starters report. My computer had been on for about 10 minutes if that makes a difference.
everest_report.htm
Starter_report.html
Digerati
Well, I have never heard of either maker - so that is not comforting. I stick with the brands listed under the "Good" column of PC Mechanic's PSU Reference List. That said, swapping in an off-brand 400w for the off-brand 300w can't be bad, assuming the 400w is working properly, and still provides the needed current on the +12 rail. What video card do you have?If it makes any difference he replaced a Suntek AM608B1-300WS with a Winpower ATX-400.
Your temperatures are fine. Did you check Device Manager for errors?
Is this computer under warranty? If the repair this technician did under warranty? If either is yes, then call them back.
wandman
The video card I have is NVIDIA GeForce 6800.
I looked in the device manager and everything is fine except my "Marvell Libertas 802.11b/g Wireless SoftAP" and that is listed as disabled (although I seem to rememebr doing this myself a while ago as I started using a cable instead).
Sadly the computer is just passed its warranty. I'm not sure about the work the technician did, the company was so poor that I wouldn't really want to deal with them again.
Have I tried all options now? Is the next stage to get someone to physically look at the computer?
Digerati
Well, with that video card, using the eXtreme PSU Calculator Lite to get a rough idea of your power supply unit (PSU) requirements, even adding in extras stuff to ensure all is covered, your PSU should be good enough. Still, with the history of this PC, and based on your confidence of this so called "technician", if that PC came across my bench, I would test that new one you have, or toss in another known good one to be sure.
Does it run sluggish in Safe Mode?
Although you have run through all the anti-malware scans, some very persistent malware may still exist. I might suggest you post a HijackThis log. Do NOT post it in this thread. Like most forums, WhattheTech has very specific procedures for posting logs and having them analyzed. See the WhattheTech HijackThis Log Procedures for complete instructions for running HijackThis and posting your log.
I recommend you reference this thread, or state all the steps taken so far so the experts here have the background on this problem.
Does it run sluggish in Safe Mode?
Although you have run through all the anti-malware scans, some very persistent malware may still exist. I might suggest you post a HijackThis log. Do NOT post it in this thread. Like most forums, WhattheTech has very specific procedures for posting logs and having them analyzed. See the WhattheTech HijackThis Log Procedures for complete instructions for running HijackThis and posting your log.
I recommend you reference this thread, or state all the steps taken so far so the experts here have the background on this problem.
Doug
Hi wandman,
Just a few added observations to the excellent care that Digerati has been providing.
In your StartUps, there is no indication of an installed AntiVirus.
What AntiVirus do you use?
I do see that you have Trojan Hunter (an excellent anti-Spyware and Trojan remover)
However, unless you have the fee paid version there may be little benefit from having it run all the time.
Additionally, Trojan Hunter can be a huge resource hog and may be partially contributing to the "slowing" of your machine.
I have used Trojan Hunter (and AVG AntiSpyware, and SuperAntiSpyware) but I do not have "real-time protection" enabled since they tend to conflict with each other AND consume huge amounts of system resources.
I "manually" run any one of those good utilities at the end of my online day to check for and remove any bad-guys of the "spyware" variety that may have tried to creep onto the machine, while I was online.
"Spyware" is different from "Virus" and you need a good Anti-Virus on your machine, running full time.
Digerati's linked reference provides good recommendations.
_________________
To speed up your machine you can "disable" all of the items that appear in CodeStuff Starters - StartUp(tab)
You can disable those items via MSCONFIG - StartUps(tab)
Start - Run - (type)MSCONFIG - Enter - Select the Startups(tab) - Remove the checkmark/tick from in front of all items that you wish to disable (all of them would be good to disable) except, do not disable any items related to your Anti-Virus and Firewall.
This item appears in MSCONFIG StartUps, but requires the following procedure to be disabled.
_______________
I echo Digerati's excellent recommendation to seek expert assistance with scanning and cleaning your machine if necessary, using our Malware Removal Forum.
*** Caution: The Malware Team will need to "see" all of the applications and processes you have installed to run on your machine. Therefore, when you Run HJT to create a Log for analysis, please have all of the processes and applications that are listed in your MSCONFIG - StartUps(tab) - Enabled so that they will appear in the HJT Log.
Later, after you have completed your Malware Removal work, you can follow the instructions to Disable items via MSCONFIG - StartUp(tab) to possibly improve your machine's speed of functioning.
Note: Most of the items Running in StartUp will have "relatively" little impact on System Resources, except your Adobe and Trojan Hunter, both of which are resource hogs.
Best Regards
Just a few added observations to the excellent care that Digerati has been providing.
In your StartUps, there is no indication of an installed AntiVirus.
What AntiVirus do you use?
I do see that you have Trojan Hunter (an excellent anti-Spyware and Trojan remover)
However, unless you have the fee paid version there may be little benefit from having it run all the time.
Additionally, Trojan Hunter can be a huge resource hog and may be partially contributing to the "slowing" of your machine.
I have used Trojan Hunter (and AVG AntiSpyware, and SuperAntiSpyware) but I do not have "real-time protection" enabled since they tend to conflict with each other AND consume huge amounts of system resources.
I "manually" run any one of those good utilities at the end of my online day to check for and remove any bad-guys of the "spyware" variety that may have tried to creep onto the machine, while I was online.
"Spyware" is different from "Virus" and you need a good Anti-Virus on your machine, running full time.
Digerati's linked reference provides good recommendations.
_________________
To speed up your machine you can "disable" all of the items that appear in CodeStuff Starters - StartUp(tab)
You can disable those items via MSCONFIG - StartUps(tab)
Start - Run - (type)MSCONFIG - Enter - Select the Startups(tab) - Remove the checkmark/tick from in front of all items that you wish to disable (all of them would be good to disable) except, do not disable any items related to your Anti-Virus and Firewall.
This item appears in MSCONFIG StartUps, but requires the following procedure to be disabled.
Speech Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
This item ctfmon.exe is disabled via Control Panel - Regional and Language Options
Control Panel - Regional and Language Options - Language(tab) - Details(button) - Advanced(tab)
Place a checkmark/tick in the box in front of: "Turn off advanced text services"
_______________
I echo Digerati's excellent recommendation to seek expert assistance with scanning and cleaning your machine if necessary, using our Malware Removal Forum.
*** Caution: The Malware Team will need to "see" all of the applications and processes you have installed to run on your machine. Therefore, when you Run HJT to create a Log for analysis, please have all of the processes and applications that are listed in your MSCONFIG - StartUps(tab) - Enabled so that they will appear in the HJT Log.
Later, after you have completed your Malware Removal work, you can follow the instructions to Disable items via MSCONFIG - StartUp(tab) to possibly improve your machine's speed of functioning.
Note: Most of the items Running in StartUp will have "relatively" little impact on System Resources, except your Adobe and Trojan Hunter, both of which are resource hogs.
Best Regards
wandman
I still have the problem and have had it confirmed here: http://forums.whatthetech.com/Sluggish_Per…985#entry427985 that I haven't any malware.
Thanks for all your help so far guys, any more help would be fantastic.
Thanks for all your help so far guys, any more help would be fantastic.
Digerati
Thanks for your cooperation on the multiple threads. That link does not work for me.
Doug and I both offered some suggestion and questions, I think you should revisit them and let us know the results.
wandman
Hey guys,
Thanks for persevering with me. To answer your questions:
My system does still run sluggish in Safemode.
I temporarily prevented all the items in the MSconfig Start-up from starting and rebooted but still had the same problem.
I am ashamed to admit that I am currently not running any antivirus. I only downloaded the trial of Trojan Hunter to have it run a scan to see if any trojans were lurking away but it didn't find any. Although the guys at this link: http://forums.whatthetech.com/Sluggish_Per…899#entry422899 said that I haven't got any malware (hopefully the link works this time).
As for being able to test the new PSU, that would be difficult, I would have to take it to someone I suppose.
I did speak to someone about the problem and he suspected that the motherboard could have been damaged.
Thanks for persevering with me. To answer your questions:
My system does still run sluggish in Safemode.
I temporarily prevented all the items in the MSconfig Start-up from starting and rebooted but still had the same problem.
I am ashamed to admit that I am currently not running any antivirus. I only downloaded the trial of Trojan Hunter to have it run a scan to see if any trojans were lurking away but it didn't find any. Although the guys at this link: http://forums.whatthetech.com/Sluggish_Per…899#entry422899 said that I haven't got any malware (hopefully the link works this time).
As for being able to test the new PSU, that would be difficult, I would have to take it to someone I suppose.
I did speak to someone about the problem and he suspected that the motherboard could have been damaged.
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI