I'm trying to read a microSD card with an SD card style adapter in an all-in-one card reader under XP SP2. The computer doesn't see a card there at all. Nada. It does, however, recognize a 1G micro SD card in the same adapter. And I tried another SD card style adapter too. Still NADA.
I also tried it in a USB adapter. Same thing.
My computer at work reads the card ok - that's an eMachine with an eMachine reader and their software. But that computer won't let me write to any card larger than 512M.
Am I missing some drivers?
Thanks.
Have you installed the driver for the "all-in-one card reader"? What is the make and model number?
It's a Soyo BayOne 9-in-one. It didn't come with drivers or software, and the only drivers on their website were win98 USB drivers. http://soyo.com/product/Peripherals/66/BayOne_XP/231 I guess you mean something like the eMachine software that shows the card slots with drive letters even when there's no media in them. Nope, nothing like that.
Further info:
I copied the files from the card to my work computer, formatted the card, and copied the files back onto it. Strange, since the work computer won't let me write to 1G thumb drives. Anyway, it still doesn't work here. It works on my laptop, so it's not a disaster, just an inconvenience.
I've also tried plugging the 2G microSD card into my printer's card reader. The printer card reader doesn't see the 2G microSD card. It sees a 1G.
The 9-in-one works. It just doesn't like this 2G card. The card works fine in my camera, in my phone, and in two other computers.
Damned odd.
Ok, given that Soyo doesn't offer software or drivers, where can I find something that will work?
Which model do you have? The Soyo website has several listed, including 6 or so that are discontinued. I looked at the specs for the BayOne Extreme and it supports:
Compact Flash (Type I)
Compact Flash (Type II)
Smart Media Card
Multi-Media Card
Secure Digital Card
IBM Micro Drive Card
Memory Stick Card
Memory Stick Pro
Next Generation Flash Media Type
Doesn't say anything about capacities though.
Yes, it's one of the obsolete models. Uh… looks like CF, SD, MMC, one of the stick cards that nobody uses. Plus it has only one USB slot.
My printer has has a card reader and that can't read the microSD in the SD adapter either. I think that part of it is that the printer has a card reader. On my last reinstall I installed printer software that I hadn't installed. You know, I rebooted with the printer unplugged today and now the LED on the multicard reader is on. AND GET THIS… it's now reading the card! It's very possible that the printer is conflicting with it. Bugger, I hate when my peripherals squabble.
HOWEVER, I can read the card through the camera with a USB cable.
Did I mention that this is odd?
There has also been some talk that Nero InCD doesn't play well with certain types of removable storage.
Yes, it's one of the obsolete models. Uh… looks like CF, SD, MMC, one of the stick cards that nobody uses. Plus it has only one USB slot.
Update:
Got it. There is a new SD card standard called Secure Digital High Capacity, or SDHC. Basically, the SD card is formatted FAT32 instead of FAT16. So an SDHC device can read an SD card as well as SDHC, but a plain SD reader can ONLY read SD.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI