I am running Windows XP with SP2 on a Dell Inspiron 630m. In the past, my SD card reader would sometimes recognize my SD cards but now it never does. I have tried to update drivers and installing the Microsoft hotifx KB934428, which supposedly deals with this sort of problem, with no result.
I really can't figure this one out and I was hoping someone might be able to help.
Thanks!
the most elementary problem is dust and lint.
be sure to use some compressed air to blow any debris out from the slot.
Be sure to do a good job of it, since lint can get "packed" down at the bottom of the slot.
SD Cards wear out (have you tried it in a different machine?) (does it work in your camera?)
SD Card readers wear out. (Have you tried a known-good SD Card in this same reader, to assure that it is functioning?)
Thanks for investigating the problem, Doug.
I've attempted your solution but, unfortunately, they didn't bear fruit. The SD cards are functioning perfectly on other devices and given the proliferance of people posting to the internet complaining of a similar problem on exactly the same build of laptop leads me to believe there's something inherently at fault here.
Again, thanks so much for your help, Doug.
Any yellow or red warnings in your Device Manager?
Particularly, expand the USB device and controller items for any warnings.
How about BIOS/CMOS Setup settings.
I doubt if that BIOS offers many options, but consider having a look to make sure that Legacy USB is selected for "On".
Best Regards
Sorry that it took me so long to reply back, Doug.
There are no warnings being shown in any of my devices and it actually goes so far as to say that the SD reader is working properly. I've also checked the BIOS but couldn't find any mention of a Legacy USB.
In the past, my SD card reader would sometimes recognize my SD cards but now it never does.
The above doesn't sound good at all.
Could very well be failed hardware.
If this were a desktop, I'd recommend opening up the case to assure that the power and cables were firmly seated.
But with a Laptop, that exercise becomes rather more difficult.
I suppose that if it was mine, I'd check in the Dell Forums and maybe submit a question there.
It's possible that what seems obscure and difficult, may be an easy fix for someone else who has already had the problem and discovered that there is a fix.
I don't have anything else to offer at this time.
Post back if you do discover a solution.
We'll all benefit from learning.