Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

IE7 error message

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 carholme

carholme

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 09:41 AM

Ladies/Gentlemen;

I have been sent here after several reviews, repair attempts and I have a problem with an error message in my progress bar at the bottom of the screen.

http://forums.whatth...ect_t86490.html

contains the description of the problem. My latest procedure was to unload IE& and re-install and the same yellow triangle error message appears, Can anyone point me somewhere that I can find details about this message.

Regards

carholme

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 11:31 AM

Hi carholme,
Sorry to hear of the problems you have been having with IE7.
I have taken a look at the extensive work you have done with LDTate over in the malware removal forum and there's not too much left that we can do!
However I do have 4 suggestions for your consideration:
1 Click on Start
Run
Type in the white box
sfc /scannow
(Note the space is essential)
OK
The scan should take around 20 minutes and will check all Windows protected System files and replace any that are damaged or missing, if any files that need replacing cannot be found from within your system, Windows SFC may ask for your Windows Xp SP2 installation disc to be inserted and then will copy them over. No output file will be produced although you can check on any files replaced by opening event viewer if you wish
Reboot.
2 With IE7 open, but with no other windows open, click on:
Tools
Internet Options
Advanced
ensure that the tick/checkmark box to the left of "Disable script debugging for Internet Explorer" is filled
ensure that the tick/checkmark box to the left of " Disable script debugging for Other" is filled.
ensure that the tick/checkmark box to the left of "Display a notification about every script error" is cleared
Under Java Sun
ensure that the tick/checkmark box to the left of "Use JRE 1.6.0 for applet is filled.
Click Apply
Click OK
Close Internet Explorer .
Reopen Internet Explorer and see how you go.
If you find that the settings are already as suggested then it's sometimes beneficial to alter them away, apply the changes,Ok your way out ,close the browser (a reboot even) and then set them back as suggested above.

3 If still no joy then you can try the other settings in the above "Advanced" panel including the Reset option.

4 If still no joy then it would be worth downloading Mozilla Firefox and installing this and see if the problem persists when using that browser:
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/

Let us know how you get on.
Regards
paws

Edited by paws, 30 December 2007 - 11:38 AM.

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 carholme

carholme

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 12:07 PM

Sir; Many thanks for your lengthy thoughts but I can assure that they have all been done, except for Mozilla. I did however download and try Firefox and it displayed none of the problems I am having with IE7. I am also going to unload and re-load all Java and see if this may be the problem as the error message appears to do with script. Regards carholme

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 12:23 PM

Hi Yes I understand, :thumbup: Hopefully Mozilla Firefox will tide you over pro tem. According to your HJT log your Java is up to date and you have no older (vulnerable versions running) however it might be wise to check that all pre v6 (3) java have been uninstalled, (Control panel Add and Remove programs) and as you say download a fresh version. You could also clear out your java cache in case anything is lurking........ A lot of my customers are switching to Firefox, they seem to like it......hope you do too Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#5 carholme

carholme

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 01:39 PM

Sir; I'll get it sorted one way or the other. Many thanks for your assistance and hope you all have a Happy New Year. Regards carholme

#6 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 05:19 PM

:thumbup:

#7 carholme

carholme

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 05:36 AM

Sir; Though we did all of the malaware checking etc., I do notice that: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\InternetExplorer\Main, LocalPage= (Qty 2) is constantly re-appearing when I do a HJT scan and this certainly appears to be a home page re-direct. Regards carholme

#8 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 11:35 AM

Hi, I had a quick look at your last HJT logs in the malware removal forum but couldn't find any reference in the log posted there to the line you mention as a possible redirect. However as we don't analyse logs here on this sub -forum it might be best to go back and ask for the topic to be reopened. This would be a wise thing to do especially if you are actually having IE7 suffering redirects to unwanted sites. Regards paws

#9 LDTate

LDTate

Grand Poobah

• Root Admin
  • 57,211 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 12:59 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320159

If you have SpyBot S&D installed, go to the "Immunize" section.
Is "Lock IE Start Page Settings" ticked?
If so, uncheck it.

Similarly, AntiVir's AdWatch by Avira has the same effect, and will not
let you change the homepage - nor will it let you alter the advanced
settings in the property section. You have first to disable the option "Block possible browser hijack attempts" in the option section of AdWatch.

A few of the other programs now doing this are:
Ad-aware's Ad-Watch
McAfee VirusScan and/or Antispyware
Norton AV
Spyware Blaster
Spybot> Tools> IE Tweaks
Spybot- Teatimer
Spysweeper
Windows Defender
Zone Alarm (free) 6.5 Reported to be fixed in later versions.

In the case of Zone Alarm 6.5 it actually has to be uninstalled. Make sure the Windows Firewall is turned on until you reinstall Zone Alarm.

Boot into Safe Mode with Networking with Networking and try the change.

You can also go to:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\InternetExplorer\Main Right Click on LocalPage select Modify and type in: C:\windows\system32\blank.htm

The forum is run by volunteers who donate their time and expertise.

Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.

Logs will be closed if you haven't replied within 3 days

If you would like to paypal.gif for the help you received.

Proud graduate of TC/WTT Classroom

#10 LDTate

LDTate

Grand Poobah

• Root Admin
  • 57,211 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 05:30 PM

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
Right Click on Main > select Permisions and make sure you have Full permissions.
If not, add your user name.

Read post #23
http://forums.whatth...665#entry427665

The forum is run by volunteers who donate their time and expertise.

Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.

Logs will be closed if you haven't replied within 3 days

If you would like to paypal.gif for the help you received.

Proud graduate of TC/WTT Classroom