I have an HP laptop that had a system board problem. When it came back from repairs, they had wiped my hard drive. Fortunately (maybe) I had made an image of my drive before sending it in. When it came back I restored my image and now the computer says that I do not have an authentic version of windows. It brings up a black screen with three options.
1) Access your computer with reduced functionality
2) Type a different product key
3) Contact Hewlett-Packard to help resolve this problem
Pushing any of those options brings no response. The computer screen just freezes. . . .
I can get into windows safe mode, but I cannot get into save mode with networking support. . . .
Any ideas?
Yeah, it was probably a mistake to restore the image. Image programs, IMO, are overrated. They are great if the hard drive becomes corrupt and you have to reformat but, IMO, that's about all their are good for. It sounds like they replaced the motherboard and when that happens, as far as Windows is concerned, several pieces of hardware were replaced besides just the motherboard (sound card, video card, network card, USB controller, disk controllers, etc.) so Windows thinks you are installing that copy on another computer (which pretty much you are) and that is against the license agreement - hence the error.
The other main problem with restoring the image is the image file contains all the drivers for the old hardware. It is likely the new motherboard is not the exact same model AND revision number and has upgraded devices on it that requires newer drivers. Since the image does not know about the new hardware or drivers, the program chokes. It boots into Safe Mode because only some of the drivers are loaded in Safe Mode.
You can try downloading the latest drivers with a working computer and burn them to disk, then install them in Safe Mode on the laptop. If that does not work, I think you may have to reinstall Windows again, at which time you will probably get the same error, but hopefully it will not lock up when you press a button to enter the product key - and you will still need the latest drivers from the makers website. And you may have to contact Microsoft and explain what happen so they can authentic your license - an inconvenience but they have never given me a hassle.
Yeah. . . the image thing has been less than completely helpful. I was just trying to avoid having to re-install all my software again. . .
Anyway. . . I have gotten past the freezing issue. Now I just need a key. When I look at microsoft's site, it looks like I have to pay to talk to technical support. Is that true? Or, is there another number I need to locate?
Thanks for your help!
How did you get past the freezing issue? Please share so others may learn from your experience - "give" and take is what these forums are all about, after all.
Did you try the key that came with your copy of Windows?
I have not yet tried to reauthenticated Vista over the phone, but have with XP many times. Usually you are given the option to do it on-line first, then if that fails, you are given a free number to call. Did that happen?
Actually. . . I am not sure how I got around the freezing issue. Each time I rebooted, it seemed as though stuff was running in the background (behind the black screen telling me my Windows Vista was not genuine). I assume it was updating drivers. Anyway. . . The next thing I needed to do was to turn off my wireless internet and start the computer again. This time it gave me an option to validate my windows by phone. I followed the instructions on the link and eventually Microsoft put me back in business. . .
Thanks for all your help!