This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Updating drivers.

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Ok I cant be too accurate with my descriptions as this only happens ocassionaly.
EXAMPLE… When I delete my old emails I get a "sis problem" pop up warning and the PC goes to safe mode, it only seems to happen when I delete in bulk and not if I delete smaller bundles at a time.. On other ocassions I have had USB port requires a "fast one" for my external hardrive., and I have also had a pop up to upgrade othe `sis` drivers when using photoshop.

I have been trying to solve these issues for a few months and had downloaded some of the sis drivers but still get ocassional pop ups.

I then found this programme which apparently gives me a system check on out of date stuff (below)

Question…1. can I trust it and 2. Is it ok just to download and install the relevent drivers.

I think most of the above issues ocurred when I re fomatted my hardrive as I messed it up and have 2 copies of xp on the hardrive.
Seriously thinking of re formatting again to get a fresh start.

Any help or guidance on this appreciated.

[external image: Posted Image]
[external image: Posted Image]
First, reformatting and reinstalling should ALWAYS be the last resort, not only because of problems like this, but also because so much is lost during a format/reinstall, including personal data, email, and hardware drivers. But most importantly, you fall months, if not years behind in security updates and patches. So I wish we had a crack at your original problem that prompted the reformat before you reformatted. :(

When you reinstalled Windows, did you install the motherboard drivers? These would be on a utilities disk that came with the motherboard, and would include the correct drivers for the motherboards on-board systems, such as on-board graphics, on-board LAN, on-board I/O ports (including USB and modem), and on-board sound, among other things. If you don't have the disk, you need to go out the motherboard maker's, or the PC maker's website and download them.

Question…1. can I trust it and 2. Is it ok just to download and install the relevent drivers.

1. Probably, but not needed. You can get the latest, and correct drivers from the hardware maker's websites without having to download unnecessary software.
2. No. For some drivers you can do that, but other drivers, most often video/graphics drivers, it is best to uninstall the old first, reboot, then install the new. BUT! - most drivers come with (or can be found on pertinent website) specific instructions that should be followed.

When you reinstalled Windows, did you install the motherboard drivers? These would be on a utilities disk that came with the motherboard, and would include the correct drivers for the motherboards on-board systems, such as on-board graphics, on-board LAN, on-board I/O ports (including USB and modem), and on-board sound, among other things. If you don't have the disk, you need to go out the motherboard maker's, or the PC maker's website and download them.

I ditched my old PC and took my sons `newer` as he got a laptop so dont have discs for motherboard. I have gone to the manufacturers site and got some updates but the problem is being sure I am on the correct codes for model numbers/versions etc, thare doesnt appear to be much to identify things on the motherboard (deliberate I beleive with some manufacturers) I did email the manufacturer but only partly helpful. Thats why it has taken me so long to get some updates.
I cant remember the exact problem for the re format but did seek help through forums but finally gave up after several weeks, I then messed it slightly by installing a second xp on the hardrive instead of deleting the first one.

thanks for replying
Use Belarc Advisor or Everest to identify your motherboard maker, model number, and version number.

I cant remember the exact problem for the re format but did seek help through forums but finally gave up after several weeks,

I'm afraid after several weeks, I can't blame you. The problem and reason a second copy was installed is most likely because the reformat did not really happen - it is not an automatic process during a Windows reinstall.

You said this is an old PC, that may explain the USB issue - it may not support the faster USB2.0 technology. That can be resolved by adding an inexpensive USB PCI card, such as one of these.

Also, your graphics issue can probably be resolved by upgrading to a graphics card and moving away from the on-board (on the motherboard) graphics. This will do much more than simply fix your graphics driver problem. All graphics processors must have dedicated RAM for graphics processing. On-board graphics, therefore, steals a chunk of system RAM to use for that purpose - often 32Mb up to 128Mb. This very effectively reduces :( the amount of available RAM your CPU and Windows can use to process your programs (and Windows itself). Graphics cards come with their own dedicated RAM so when you add a card, the system RAM previously snagged for the on-board graphics is freed up, adding more RAM for Windows and your CPU. This has a cascading effect in improving overall system performance.

1. Cards (even $50 budget cards) invariably have a better (faster) GPU (Graphics Processor Unit) than the on-board GPU
2. Graphics RAM is designed/configured specifically for processing graphics tasks
3. Cards invariably have more dedicated RAM on the card than is made available (stolen) from system RAM
4. Increasing system RAM (either by physically adding more RAM, or by freeing up previously snagged RAM) improves performance (normally considered the best bang for the money)
5. More system RAM means Windows and the CPU do NOT have to access the Page File on the slooooowwww hard disk as often, improving performance and saving a little wear and tear on the drive.

If your motherboard supports AGP, that would be the better choice. If not, then even a budget PCI (not to be confuse with PCI Express - totally different technologies) card will work fine.

The better the graphics card your budget will allow, the more overall performance will improve. Something to think about. That said, a budget card will not have a significant impact on your power requirements whereas a more powerful card may require a power supply upgrade as well. Also, if you have less than 1Gb of system RAM installed, bumping up your RAM to 1Gb WILL provide a significant performance boost, especially if currently running with 512Mb or less. Anything over 1Gb will offer little, if any, noticeable improvement for most people - that is why 1Gb is often considered the "sweet spot" for XP and single core CPUs.

that may explain the USB issue

I didnt have the issue before the re format.

I am thinking with the helpful advice given that in the near future it might be worth getting a new PC I am still on xp and soon I suppose I ought to think about Vista (although I dread the day) as we all need to move on. With all the issues and the costs of upgrading it might be my best and not much more expensive move.

I am away for a few days so will give me time to think about it.

I have run the programmes for my PC information so can also try and get upgrades for drivers in the short term, or do a proper re formatt (I have an external back up for all important stuff, and screen captures of all my favourites and email addies and other settings) as I will still have a few days hols when I come back, it might be time well spent.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
regards
I would advise everyone to NOT upgrade an existing machine to Vista. But is buying or building a new machine, then as long as enough horsepower is built in, that is, a current motherboard, a nice CPU, 2Gb of RAM, and a very nice graphics card, then yes, go with Vista.
Yes that would be the plan when I get a new machine then upgarde to vista, but in the meantime get the best I can from the existing one with xp. My main use of PC is spreadsheets, Email and photoshop for picture editing, all personal ie not for work. Never play games or much in to downloading anything. So my needs are not great and when I do upgrade that should keep me going for a few years again. Your advice has been very useful for me and when i come back off hols I will try for upgrading drivers etc as best I can, still considering a reformat though, cause if I get that correct with upgrades to the drivers I can wait for a few more months of the `vista` probs getting sorted. regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI