Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Connection Quits Randomly

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 toyotomi

toyotomi

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 01:14 PM

This seems like the best forum to post this so here goes:Ok, so I have a problem that has been going on for a very, very, very long time. It's happened on multiple machines and through multiple reformats. What happens is that at seemingly random times I suddenly become unable to connect to anything on any application. However, if when this sudden blockage occurs a program has had a connection before and through, then it seems to be able to maintain its connection but nothing else can connect. Another common occurrence is that I'll open up Firefox and have to wait for my homepage to timeout, and then reload before it will actually connect. If I interrupt it before it times out by either hitting the stop button or just hitting the Home button, it won't connect, but after the timeout happens it will usually connect just fine. When the connection drops out completely and I can't get anything to connect, then a reboot always fixes the problem if only temporarily. So I'd consider this problem a little odd. Like I said it's happened on multiple machines and installations and if I recall correctly it also happened on more than one router.I'm running Windows XP SP2 (fully updated), ZoneAlarm Firewall, 2WIRE HomePortal 1000HW Router with software version 3.5.5. Along with AVG Anti-Virus these are the programs/hardware that have persisted through the problem the most consistently. Personally I have begun to suspect ZoneAlarm as the culprit, but am by no means certain. One thing that leads me to suspect it is that occasionally when the connection goes out, I can connect if I turn down the "Internet Zone Security" setting from High to Medium. This doesn't always work though.If anyone knows what is going on and/or can lend a helping hand it'd be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 03:41 AM

Hi,Sorry to hear of the connection problem.The fact that it ocurrs on different machines, different routers, and after multiple reformats would tend to indicate that it is either a software problem (a common piece of software/configuration that you habitually use, or a line problem with your phone line.Your thoughts on Zone Alarm. might be bang on target.... for testing purposes, try an uninstall of it and a trial of another 2 way software firewall and see how you go.Regardspaws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 toyotomi

toyotomi

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 05:40 AM

Sorry if the following is a bit hard to read. I'm a wee bit tired at the moment.Well I guess this makes it a good point to ask a question I've intended to ask eventually anyway... Is ZoneAlarm the best free firewall to be using anymore?I've been using ZoneAlarm since way back in ye olden times when Leo Laporte recommended it on Call for Help. I've been pretty satisfied with it and like how it's easy to use for even those who aren't as knowledgeable with computers. (in particular the way it asks for permissions and gives warnings).So what is the best free firewall out there nowadays? Or at least what is the best alternative to ZoneAlarm?Back to the issue of my connection woes, my memory may be a little fuzzy on this detail, but I *think* the problem may have shown itself before I installed ZoneAlarm on one of the times I was reformatting. If I recall correctly, it was when I only had Windows XP installed and had just downloaded Firefox and began using that to download the initial security software to put on the system. Like I said I can't remember the exact sequence of events but that I do believe is one of the things that has made this all the more confusing.Now my XP installation disc is a SP1 disc. I have however made a slipstream SP2 disc from it. There are still some problems that seem to have arisen from that. Namely being the hassle of upgrading to the latest IE and having some references to the old version remain, and the same goes for the newest version of Windows Media Player. It's particularly a hassle when doing a repair installation but that's neither here nor there. One thing that has been bugging me greatly is that I can't seem to actually remove Outlook Express from my machine. I've tried unhiding it in the registry to make it appear on the uninstall list but that didn't work and manually deleting the files just results in them being immediately replaced. I'm kinda veering off topic... but perhaps somehow my installation may be relevant.On the subject of my lines... well we've had some problems that SBC/ATT have been unable to help with. Periodic disconnects from the line level happen now and again but sometimes it's because they are running tests on the lines and don't bother to keep their customer support informed of it. (so they have no clue when I call to ask what the deal is) This hasn't happened for a while though. They have also sent out some people to check the lines on more than one occasion and have kept a monitor on the connection for a couple days on more than one occasion as well, all to no positive effect. The way the router is it has three lights. One light is for power, another is for the "Local Network" (PC connection) and the last is for the "Broadband Link" (phoneline connection). Generally speaking it's easy to tell if there's a problem with the connection outside the PC because the Broadband Link light will flicker, turn orange, or turn red if it completely cuts off. When this happens for too long without a reconnect that's when I know to call customer support. The disconnects that I have been experiencing for so long and the ones that this thread is about, seem to be starting at the PC level, as I never see any signs on the router of a connection problem. Now once again on this particular fact my memory may be a little fuzzy but I think that I can't establish a connection with my router (to configure it or restart it) when my connection goes out. But I'll have to try and confirm that the next time it happens to be sure.So I'm left in the end almost positive that it has to either be some remarkably subtle quirk with the lines however unlikely, or it's some software issue which seems more likely. So finding the commonality from setup to setup should reveal the root of this particular evil. I've already listed a few bits of software that I've used and I think could cause some problems. One thing that I've also suspected is Windows itself. That perhaps there is some configuration, some setting that I've just plain gotten wrong all these years. If that's the case I have no clue what it could be or where to start, but I suppose it could be a possibility.

Edited by toyotomi, 16 December 2007 - 05:45 AM.

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 06:37 AM

Hi, I will send a full a more full answer shortly.....BUT in the meantime, please do NOT try to uninstall Outlook Express, it is an integral part of the operating system. You may inadvertently create system instability and unreliability if you try! ( but see comments below)Some folks have managed to uninstall, successfully Internet Explorer (including Outlook Express) but it is not recommended unless you are highly expert, have an encyclopedic knowledge of the operating system with all its twists and turns, and great expertise in editing the Registry.Regardspaws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#5 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 09:52 AM

Hi again, Unless you have great expertise (as described in my precious post) it is quite possible that some of your systems files and or Registry entries have become compromised following your attempts to uninstall OE and attendant Registry entries. Providing your system is working correctly and reliably (apart from the connection dropping out) then it may not be necessary to reformat and reinstall at this stage. Instead I suggest you consider running SFC that will check that all Windows protected System Files are undamaged and in their correct positions. Start>Run> sfc /scannow ( note the space, it's essential) OK the scan will take up to 20 minutes or so to run, if it completes in just a few seconds you will need to re-run it. There is no automatic output file generated, but missing or damaged protected Windows System Files will be replaced either from elsewhere within your machine or from your Microsoft Windows XP installation disc ( the one you have slipstreamed with SP2) so be sure to have this handy. Naturally if you have your data on a separate partition and your boot drive imaged with, for example, Ghost, Drive Image, Paragon Acronis or similar disc imaging applications then it may be sensible to re-image your boot partition with your perfect image, and depending on how many applications you have installed will in most cases only take 15 minutes or so. If this was a machine I was fixing then before doing this I would uninstall Zone Alarm, reboot and then either install a different 2 way software firewall or reinstall a fresh copy of ZA Zone Alarm (ZA) is a very good product of high reputation and is recommended by many experts. If you go here: http://www.iopus.com...ee-firewall.htm You will find further information and be able to download your preferred firewall protection. Please remember that most free firewalls are only free when they are used purely for private purposes, with no business use whatsoever. Post back after you have tried a different firewall for a week or two and let us know how you go. Regards paws

#6 toyotomi

toyotomi

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 11:45 AM

On this installation all I've done to try and remove Outlook Express was to edit sysoc.inf following instructions from the old Call For Help website (I saved the instruction along with others eons ago). It just consists of removing the HIDE field. I didn't edit any registry keys on this installation. This problem also existed before I even knew how to do this and before I ever made attempts to remove Outlook Express on any installation. I can virtually guarantee that the root of the problem isn't related to Outlook Express.Thanks for the link to that site. I kinda wish they actually gave some details about the tests they did on the firewalls and how they arrived at their conclusions, but I think I'll give Comodo a try. I'll post any results after a while.

Edited by toyotomi, 16 December 2007 - 11:46 AM.

#7 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 02:35 AM

:thumbup: