Hey guys, not quite sure what is up with my computer lately. I reboot and am able to load Firefox and webpages with no problems, but after a short while, Firefox stops responding all together. Not 'stops responding' as in a program lockup, just as in… I hit refresh on a page, the status bar states it's 'Done' but the page never refreshes new data. I used to be able to shut down Firefox and reload it in able to view new pages, but now that doesn't seem to be working either. Now when Firefox stops responding, I have to completely reboot in order to load new pages or refresh others.
As far as rebooting goes, I get odd "Windows has recovered from a serious error" messages, but the error message tells me nothing about what the error was from or anything else. Virus scanners come up clean, as well as Malware Bytes. The only recent changes to the system has been a new router from close to a month ago, but other computers on the network are able to view webpages fine without the issue I have on this computer.
Please, if you can, help me fix what is wrong. Rebooting 3-4 times a day just to view webpages is getting quite annoying. I am willing to send any log files of programs, just let me know where to start please.
-Rappy
Hi, sorry to hear of the problems you are experiencing
1 Do you get the same problem with other browsers? IE for example?
2 Have you run chkdsk /r and also SFC /scannow recently? if so what happened?
3 Have you tried uninstalling Firefox, rebooting your machine and downloading a fresh copy and performing a new install of Firefox?
4 If the problem started fairly recently have you used a System Restore Point to set your machine to a date prior to the problem starting?
Regards
paws
IE was giving me the same error last night about not wanting to load webpages. I ran the troubleshooting it asked me to and said there was a winsock connectivity issue that it claimed it fixed and asked me to reboot. When I reboot this morning, things seem ok for the moment. Firefox has yet to stop responding, but I have only been doing things on Firefox and not actually doing much else. So I don't know if it's a combination of things, or if it was truly the winsock problem. However, when I reboot this morning (after IE's fix), I got the recurring "Windows has recovered from a serious error" message.
Chkdsk /r came back clean, but sfc /scannow tells me I have to put in my Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD which I do not have. I have the original install holodisk CD of SP1 and with that CD it tells me it's the incorrect version. Not sure what to do there. I haven't checked to see when the last SRP was done, nor have I have uninstalled FF. I am afraid if I do, I will lose a lot of my saved settings.
I guess for the moment, I need to run my computer per usual and see if FF stops responding throughout the course of the day. I will post back later this evening if that's the case. If you have any other ideas for me to check on in the meantime, let me know and I will get to it.
-Rappy