This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Enabling Microsoft Windows defragger?

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Someone maybe able to help me in how (if possible) to activate my Windows Defragger. I get the following message. I am running Windows XP/SP2 When I go to start>all programs>accessories>systemtools>diskdefragger> I get the following message

Diskeeper Unable to connect to Diskeeper service in the selected machine. Connecting to local Diskeeper Service.

I know if I uninstall both software utilities that Windows defrag may automatically activate, but would like to keep both installed and disabled if possible. Any thoughts?
Open My Computer, right click on the drive you want to defrag, select Properties. Click on Tools then Defragment now. That should start the built-in defragger.

Open My Computer, right click on the drive you want to defrag, select Properties. Click on Tools then Defragment now. That should start the built-in defragger.

Thanks for your feedback and suggestion Ztruker, I have done a small experiment here on both my PC and Laptop. With Diskeeper lite (installed and disabled in Services) and following your advice above it is not the Windows Defragger that is enabled but Diskeeper lite that is offered for defragging the system. But when I uninstalled Diskeeper lite and do what you suggested (which I had been doing before your post) then and only then do you have the offer of Windows defragger. Having O & O installed and disabled in Services does not affect things at all, so I will stick with the Windows Defragger and O & O for a change once in a while. A good learning curve for me. I hope it may help others if they like to have more than one defragger installed on their computer. Best regards, and again thank you for posting. ;)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI