Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

IExplorer random "Error has occurred...need to close"

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wgf743

wgf743

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 01:44 PM

12/11/07 Hello, IExplorer randomly comes up with "Error has occurred needs to close..." System is Sony laptop PCG-F540 Running Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600) w:SP1 From About IExplore window: Version 6.0.2600.0000 xpclnt_qfe.021108_2107 Connection is thru USB thru Linksys USB100TX network adapter to Quest DSL modem Below is from a recent closure window that came up while trying to post a reply to WhattheTech on 12/10/07. Just had another one, 12/11/07, same error. I'm now using a different computer to post this to the forum. Error signature, from "Report error to Microsoft...?" AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 6.0.2600.0 ModName: mshtml.dll ModVer: 6.0.2745.2800 Offset: 0006582c I also saved a 27K file appcompat.txt that has technical details. I have just finished an infection cleanup with the great help of Ken545 in the HiJack/Malware forum. During the cleanup we ran utilities: OTMoveIt FixWareOut ComboFix CWShredder SuperAntiSpyware Also during the cleanup we did: In Internet Protocol TCP/IP the following were selected: - Obtain an IP address automatically - Obtain DNS server address automatically Did ipconfig /flushdns The closures were occurring before we started infection removal and are still happening now afterwards. I can go to ATT email and Yahoo email sites OK, also a couple of newspaper sites OK Thanks for any help you gan give. ********** End 12/11/07 post ***********************

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ax238

Ax238

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 08:52 AM

Hello wgf743,

I'm glad to hear that Ken was able to clean your log. Have you tried downloading the following update?
Download details: IE6 SP1 Update: Q816506

Here's another one you should see if you have:
Download details: Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 - Windows XP and Windows 2000 (KB888092)

If these don't work out, you may want to uninstall the SP1 for IE6 (if possible) and then reinstall it.

I'm going to echo Ken and say that you will definitely want to update your system to XP SP2 as soon as possible. In the meantime, use the Internet only as required. Optionally you can use Firefox or Opera for now in order to get to the links that Ken posted for you.

Regards,

Ax

#3 wgf743

wgf743

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 11:09 AM

12/12/07 Thanks for your info - I appreciate it. I'll give the SP1 updates a try and get back to you. It may be a couple of days. Re: SP2 - I got on to Microsoft SP2 downloads and checked requirements, and one of them is 1.6GB free space. Right now I have only 1.5GB free so I've got some freeing up to do. When I'm not on the Internet I'll disable the DSL connection. ---- End post -----

#4 wgf743

wgf743

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 04:43 PM

12/14/07Thanks for the links to the SP1 updates.Looks as if applying the Microsoft Knowledge Base articles and recommendationswould take care of my "IExplorer has encountered a problem...." error. It addressesspecifically the file mshtml.dll, which is what is referenced in the Error signature thatcan be accessed in the error dialog window.Unfortunatly my system is worse off than I thought as I don't even have service pack 1installed. I now recall trying to download and install it over a year ago and had someauthorization issues. While the XP that is installed is not pirated, it and the computerthat it is installed on is a handover in 2002 from a close relative who was working in asoftware development environment (small office of a big company) in which, I think, theMSDN resources there were used to obtain and activate XP on developers' machines.So for now, please close out this topic. I am not too affected by it, and it is good toknow what the problem is. If it occurs too often on sites I need to access I will giveMozilla.org Firefox a try.Thanks for your help.--- End post ---

#5 Ax238

Ax238

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 09:33 PM

OK, that's a reasonable explanation. I've dealt with computers before that have had the MSDN resources on them, sometimes kind of hard to figure out. Please know that without your computer completely updated, you are more at risk for re-infection, so take care to do what you can to protect your computer.Regards,Ax