This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Java 5.0 Update 5

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello, I was just looking for some opinions on Java. I really don't remember installing it. I just noticed it in my system tray one day. I am running Xp Home, it is an OEM version about 2 years old. I have SP2 installed. I never noticed if it was installed when I installed windows on this machine or if a program like my HP printer all in one installed it. Can you run your system without it or would there be problems. I am trying to understand the whole concept. Thanks, Ken :D
hi ken545, you mean the little coffee cup icon? thats sun java. no you dont need it. you most likely have MS javaVM already on your computer. sun and MS were or still may be in a legal battle over there java platforms.
shelf life, Thanks for the reply, how do I know if I have MS java VM on my system? I just can't figure out where it came from, I don't ever remember installing it. Would it be installed along with printer software, that is the only major software that I have installed lately. Ken :D
Hey Shelflife,

The reason I was wondering about this is because about the sametime I noticed it , not all, but some web pages in IE had the Red X where a picture should have been. My Firefox browser is fine, no problems at all.

I am going to read the link you sent first chance i get.

Thanks for your time.

Ken :D

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI